Help please - where do I start?! Valente - Cassino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Rosie_M

Help please - where do I start?! Valente - Cassino

Post by Rosie_M »

Hi Lovely People,

I have just found this site by chance and really would like your advice please :D

I only know a little about my biological family and really am desperate to find out more, this is hampered due to my little info.

I can tell you: my great grandmother was Vingenza Valente, she came to the UK, apparently walked from Cassino - I was given the village name San Andonino (?) but cannot find anything like it on the internet- I was also given Cassino and Frosinone. Her parents were Giuseppe Valente born about 1862 and Crescenza (was Nardone)born about 1866. They are on the 1901 UK census with their 3 older children having been born in Italy, Anthony 1888, Christina 1890 and Vingenza/Vincenza/Vangeze (several spellings!!)1892. They went on to have Mary, Pasqua, Ernest, Richard, Michael and John.

I would love to know when Giuseppe and Crescenza came to the UK, where they travelled from and to, who with and about the family left behind in Italy! Who were their parents? Did they have siblings? What family came with them etc?!! How on earth do I find all this out? Where do I begin? There is so much I long to know but I have no idea where to begin. Any help or advice at all would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Michelle
stanom

Re: Help please - where do I start?! Valente - Cassino

Post by stanom »

try the village name San Antonio, sounds more Italian...lots of words were misspelled. "ino" sometimes indicates "small", so maybe a small village outside San Antonio. Go online, use google,see what you can find. Good luck.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Possibility??? :D

Sant'Antonino is a frazione(hamlet) of Cassino
Sant'Antonino, comune of Cassino - province: Frosinone - region: Lazio

Records would be held at the comune(town)
Here is a link to the comune of Cassino

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/060/019/

Address to write for records:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza De Gasperi
03043 Cassino (FR)
ITALY

You might want to view the microfilmed records for Cassino (and its hamlets) at your nearest LDS Family History Center. They have the films of civil registrations (births, deaths, marriages) for the years 1809 - 1900
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F130715

T.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Hello, I have some Valente's in my tree from Cassino!
The village was called San Michele?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
stanom

Post by stanom »

the city is Sant'Antonino
Rosie_M

Post by Rosie_M »

Thanks Guys :-)

I didn't think to actually come back on here and check if anyone replied!! I presumed that I would be notified by email if someone had responded!

I tried Sant'Antonino but couldn't find it in the Cassino region.

Jamie - I seem to recall San Miguel being mentioned somewhere but not sure that it is where my relations come from?

Another question (sorry!!), just trying to build a picture in my mind - if they walked from Cassino to England how do I find out where they walked to to get the boat over?! I realise that might be an impossible question but I've googled all sorts of wordings around 'migration form Italy in the 1890's' and got nowhere!!

Thanks
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Rosie_M wrote:Thanks Guys :-)

I didn't think to actually come back on here and check if anyone replied!! I presumed that I would be notified by email if someone had responded!

I tried Sant'Antonino but couldn't find it in the Cassino region.

Jamie - I seem to recall San Miguel being mentioned somewhere but not sure that it is where my relations come from?

Another question (sorry!!), just trying to build a picture in my mind - if they walked from Cassino to England how do I find out where they walked to to get the boat over?! I realise that might be an impossible question but I've googled all sorts of wordings around 'migration form Italy in the 1890's' and got nowhere!!

Thanks
Did you read the above answer from Tessa? http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/p ... ml#p181009
Rosie_M

Post by Rosie_M »

Hi Livio,

Yes, sorry - thanks Tessa for your reply. I clicked on the link and found it listed but can't seem to find anything else about it. I suppose it is just a small hamlet and Cassino is the nearest large place?
judyvalentine

Post by judyvalentine »

I know you submitted this many years ago but my grandfather was Dominico Valente born in Cassino 1884 - 1926, his father was Giuseppe Valente 1852 - 1909 and I too wanted to know more about when they came to England and how. I do not have the name of Giuseppe's wife. Hope you managed to find out more over these last few years.
Judy