Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby mjdonini » 12 Apr 2012, 22:11

I am searching for great-grandfather who worked for Il Progresso Italian Newspaper.
Family name is Defrancesco and I believe the first name was Gerald or Harold.
Had several children at least one son and some daughters one of whom became a teacher.
Lived in Jersey City/North Bergen area in 1930's-1940's
mjdonini
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 21:49

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Apr 2012, 17:34

Here is a City Directory index for 1936...

U.S. City Directories (Beta)


Name: Harold P Defrancesco
Gender: M (Male)
Residence Year: 1936
Street Address: 986 E 24th
Residence Place: Paterson; Haledon; Hawthorne; Propsect Park; Little Falls; Totowa; West Paterson, New Jersey
Occupation: Clerk
Spouse: Anna H Defrancesco
Publication Title: Paterson, New Jersey, City Directory, 1936

Same address in 1939 Directory...
U.S. City Directories (Beta)

Name: Anna Defrancesco
Residence Year: 1939
Street Address: 11 Mrs seamstress It 986 E 24th
Residence Place: Paterson; Haledon; Hawthorne; Propsect Park; Little Falls; Totowa; West Paterson, New Jersey
Publication Title: Paterson, New Jersey, City Directory, 1939

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9201
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby mjdonini » 18 Apr 2012, 17:27

Thanks Tessa but I am not sure this is the same Defrancesco I am looking for. Do you know anything about this family that might help me to be sure?
mjdonini
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 21:49

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Apr 2012, 00:03

Sorry, only what I found above in a search... :(

Do you have an approx. date of birth for Harold/Gerald? Maybe we can find a census record for the family in North Bergen :-)


T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9201
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby mjdonini » 19 Apr 2012, 00:57

Tessa,
Mea culpa!
This link led me to Gennaro Defrancesco in Paterson. Residence at 261 E 21st St. in 1936
Wife Rosa. I had the first name wrong it is Gennaro not Gerald and he did work for IlProgresso in New York
Bt 1940's they lived at 50 Henry Ave in Palisades Park
I am trying to reunite with their descendants. I thought they had a son, Harold, (I could have that name wrong too )who would have been born circa 1920 and fathered a son, Gerald, with Rose Comito. Rose remarried and Gerald was adopted by her new husband. We would be most appreciative of any information you might have
Thanks again, I am excited to have gotten this far.
mjdonini
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 21:49

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Apr 2012, 11:26

mjdonini wrote:Tessa,
Mea culpa!
This link led me to Gennaro Defrancesco in Paterson. Residence at 261 E 21st St. in 1936
Wife Rosa. I had the first name wrong it is Gennaro not Gerald and he did work for IlProgresso in New York
Bt 1940's they lived at 50 Henry Ave in Palisades Park
I am trying to reunite with their descendants. I thought they had a son, Harold, (I could have that name wrong too )who would have been born circa 1920 and fathered a son, Gerald, with Rose Comito. Rose remarried and Gerald was adopted by her new husband. We would be most appreciative of any information you might have
Thanks again, I am excited to have gotten this far.


Here is the WWII Registration Card for Gennaro... in case you don't already have it :-)

He is living at 50 Henry Ave., Palisades Park.
DOB is listed as Dec. 16, 1881, in Naples
According to this record, he works for "Progresso Italo-American Co." on Elk St., NYC

Image

You can use this site to help find them in the 1940 US Census (searchable by address)
http://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9201
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby mjdonini » 20 Apr 2012, 02:19

Yes, i have been able to find this info on Gennaro and his wife, Rosa, but cannot find a list of their children. I believe the Harold you located is their son I am trying to trace. It appears that he was married to Anna in the late 30's and they had a daughter Rosanna born about 1936. (Paterson city directory and 1940 census) After that I cannot find anything about Harold but I suspect he divorced Anna as she lives with her parents after that. That must be the time he fathered a son, born in 1941 and I think he lived in Highland Park, NJ sometime after that before divorcing again. It is our understanding that he moved to PA after that--perhaps Philadelphia. Our objective is to find family history and any descendents of Harold, and/or Gennaro, my husband's father and grandfather. Thanks again for your help - we have come far thanks to you.
mjdonini
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 21:49

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby Kinross » 16 Mar 2013, 00:52

One my my great...grandmothers was named Anna Comito, born in the mid 1880's. She married Leonardo Fornabaio in Stigliano probably in where my father's family lived. I don't know if she was from Stigliano. Can anyone help me?
Kinross
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Mar 2013, 06:14

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Mar 2013, 23:42

Kinross wrote:One my my great...grandmothers was named Anna Comito, born in the mid 1880's. She married Leonardo Fornabaio in Stigliano probably in where my father's family lived. I don't know if she was from Stigliano. Can anyone help me?


Generally, brides marry in their own hometown, so it is a good possibility, if they married in Stigliano, that is where Anna Comito lived.

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9201
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Mar 2013, 01:14

Kinross,

I have located a marriage bann document in Stigliano in 1897.

Groom is Leonardo Fornabaio, age 28, peasant farmer son of deceased Giuseppe and of Anna Cacciatore.
Bride is Anna Dimase, age 19, peasant farmer daughter of Giuseppe, age 62, and of deceased Margherita Mercadante.

What do you think?

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9201
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Postby suanj » 23 Mar 2013, 17:11

mjdonini wrote:Yes, i have been able to find this info on Gennaro and his wife, Rosa, but cannot find a list of their children. I believe the Harold you located is their son I am trying to trace. It appears that he was married to Anna in the late 30's and they had a daughter Rosanna born about 1936. (Paterson city directory and 1940 census) After that I cannot find anything about Harold but I suspect he divorced Anna as she lives with her parents after that. That must be the time he fathered a son, born in 1941 and I think he lived in Highland Park, NJ sometime after that before divorcing again. It is our understanding that he moved to PA after that--perhaps Philadelphia. Our objective is to find family history and any descendents of Harold, and/or Gennaro, my husband's father and grandfather. Thanks again for your help - we have come far thanks to you.


Hi, here the children list:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 about Gennaro De Francesco
Name: Gennaro De Francesco
Age: 45
Birth Date: 16 Dec 1881
Spouse's Name: Rosa
Children: Vincenzo, Teresa, Auslina, Paolo, Pasquale, Maria, Evelina, Gaetano
Arrival Date: 1905
Naturalization Date: 5 Oct 1927
State: New York
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Eastern District, New York
Naturalization Record Type: Petition

Image

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11261
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy


11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adelfio, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 7 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.