Help finding great-grandfather's sister

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Help finding great-grandfather's sister

Postby tcrawford246 » 23 Apr 2012, 17:56

I am trying to find my great-grandfather's sister. In the ship manifest on the Ellis Island website her name is listed as Carmina http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipmanifest.asp?FNM=SABATO&LNM=GALLUZZO&PLNM=GALLUZZO&first_kind=1&last_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=null&RF=3&pID=102589140405&MID=02132590690894962464&
In her mother's obituary her name is Carmela and her married name is Penchant and she lived in Chicago. I have looked on Ancestry.com for Carmela Penchant, Carmina Penchant, and just Penchant, but I haven't had any luck. I don't know what her husband's name was. Some more information about her is she was born in about 1887 possibly in Castel San Giorgio and her parents names are Sabato Galluzzo and Rosalina Botta. She had at least 5 brothers and their names are Luigi, Antonio, Raffaele, and Giovanni. Also, when they came to the United States Galluzzo was changed to Galluzzi. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help finding great-grandfather's sister

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Apr 2012, 18:18

Closest I could find... Carmela Penna, age 44 in the 1930 Census for Chicago
She is a proprietor of a candy store, and her husband is a laborer on the railroad.
Age and year of immigration is about right :-)
According to the record, they married about 1905.

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Carmela Penna
Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1905
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Dony Penna (probably Tony)
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Members:
Name Age
Dony Penna 54
Carmela Penna 44

T.

tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tcrawford246 » 23 Apr 2012, 21:39

Is there anyway to out what her maiden name was to verify if she is the same woman I am looking for? Also, was it common to see last names changed from one document to another(Penchant in her mother's obituary and Penna in the census)?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Apr 2012, 23:18

tcrawford246 wrote:Is there anyway to out what her maiden name was to verify if she is the same woman I am looking for?
I think the best source would be her marriage license...
You could request her Social Security application (SS-5), but it would be difficult because you don't know her last name :-(

Also, was it common to see last names changed from one document to another(Penchant in her mother's obituary and Penna in the census)?
Information given in obituaries, and on death certificates are known for being inaccurate. The information was provided by a living relative who often did not know the facts, but rather family stories.

Do you know where she was married?

T.

tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tcrawford246 » 24 Apr 2012, 00:49

No, I don't know where she was married. On the ship manifest it said she was coming to Brockway, PA, so I'm going to go to the church and check there, but I think that one of her brothers moved to Chicago, so maybe she went with him and was married there. I have no idea.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”