Vincenzo Cagno from Foggia, Puglia, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Vincenzo Cagno from Foggia, Puglia, Italy

Postby cags33 » 29 Apr 2012, 01:33

I'm looking for more information on my great-grandfather and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vincenzo Cagno was born in 1892 in Foggia, Bovina Puglia Italy. From what I can see, he came over to America at age 18 in March 1910 on the Konig Albert, then settled in South Sharon (Farrell), Pennsylvania. He first stayed with a godfather there (hard to read the name from the records) and later married Antoinette Testa.

From records it looks like his mother might have been named Celestina, but I cannot be certain. The cursive is difficult to decipher.

I also know that he had a brother Michael, who also settled in South Sharon/Farrell PA, but I don't know if they had other siblings.

Thanks!
cags33

Re: Vincenzo Cagno from Foggia, Puglia, Italy

Postby cags33 » 29 Apr 2012, 14:46

I didn't really explain what I was hoping to discover...

I hope to find out the names of my grandfather's parents back in Italy, as well as any other relatives that remained there. I would also love to know if Vincenzo and Michael had any other siblings, and if they did, whether or not that part of the family ended up here in the US or stayed back in Foggia.

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide. :)
cags33

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 29 Apr 2012, 17:20

hello and welcome.
here is a marriage cert i believe is Vincenzo(Jim)Cango
and Antonette Testa. Vincenzo parents names are listed as Carmine Cango and Celestina Palletta. Hope this is the correct person and that it helps.
[img=http://s19.postimage.org/gkgfe1lcv/dist.jpg]
Italy80
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cags33 » 30 Apr 2012, 23:16

WOW! This is them!
Thank you so much!

May I ask where you located this?

I have been looking for this information for a few years now, and my father didn't know the names of his great-grandparents over in Italy. We were clueless on how to find the information, and I had exhausted all or most of the information available on Ancestry.com.

When I saw your message and the attached image, I was so excited. I just called to tell him, and he is so happy! Thank you so much! This is one more clue that leads to others, and it means a lot to us to know this information.

Do you have any advice on how I can better search for information on this family? I paid for Ancestry and have been off and on the site for two years now, but there seems to be little else on there regarding my Italian side of the family considering they came over to the US in 1910.

Again, thanks so much for taking time to research this and for sharing the information with me!!! :)
cags33

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 01 May 2012, 12:10

Hello, you are very welcome the site i use a lot is this site.
https://www.familysearch.org/
you can sign up for free and they have a great collection of records for across the world. I wish you luck in your research.:-)
Italy80
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 01 May 2012, 13:32

also looking at the ship record for vincenzo line 5 it looks to me that he is going to see his brother but i cannot read the writing either. but if you post it and ask for help with it im sure that someone will be able to help read it.
Italy80
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby adelfio » 01 May 2012, 16:05

princessbubbles_1 wrote:also looking at the ship record for vincenzo line 5 it looks to me that he is going to see his brother but i cannot read the writing either. but if you post it and ask for help with it im sure that someone will be able to help read it.

Great find on the parents :lol:
On page 2 of the shipmanifest I think his brothers name is Michele Cagno he came over a year before and went to Sharon PA

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 01 May 2012, 17:08

adelfio wrote:
princessbubbles_1 wrote:also looking at the ship record for vincenzo line 5 it looks to me that he is going to see his brother but i cannot read the writing either. but if you post it and ask for help with it im sure that someone will be able to help read it.

Great find on the parents :lol:
On page 2 of the shipmanifest I think his brothers name is Michele Cagno he came over a year before and went to Sharon PA

Marty

thanks so much Marty for your help.
Italy80
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 01 May 2012, 17:11

Italy80
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cags33 » 01 May 2012, 17:34

You guys are great and so fast at responding! Thanks so much! All of what you located is accurate.

We know that Michael (Michele) and James (Vincenzo) Cagno came over right after the other from Italy. They both relocated to Sharon, PA. I still don't know if they had any other siblings, so I wonder if any other family came over or stayed behind in Foggia. Families were huge back then, so two sons seems like an unlikely number, although it appears therie father might have died young because he was already deceased when Vincenzo married at 22.

That marriage certificate was a great find! We were thrilled to add it to our collection. I had no idea that "family search" site existed, and how wonderful that it's free! Thanks for sharing!

I wish I had come to this site sooner and will likely use it as a source to further research the other relatives on the Testa and Giannone sides. This is more helpful!

Thanks again!!
cags33

Postby cags33 » 01 May 2012, 17:36

Just a side note: I meant that they actually relocated to Farrell, PA, which was called "South Sharon" back then.
cags33

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 01 May 2012, 17:49

Military record for Mike Cagno

Possible 1930 Census record available on ancestry

:
Mike Cagno
Event:
Census
Event Date:
Event Place:
Farrell, Mercer, Pennsylvania