Domenico and Vito Lorusso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Domenico and Vito Lorusso

Postby rp76226 » 29 Apr 2012, 04:59

Trying to find the birth, marriage, and World War I Italian military records of my grandfather's (Evnagelista Lorusso) two older brothers - Domenico (Dominic), Vito (Vittorio?). My grandfather, Evangelista was born Sept 18, 1900 in Bari, Altamura and died August 3, 1986, in New Milford, N.J.. Their parents were Michele Lorusso born August 13, 1858 and Teresa Ninivaggi, born December 1, 1858 in Altamura, Bari, Italy. They were married on October 11, 1884 in Altamura, Bari, Italy. Domenico and Vito were wounded in WWI fighting for Italy against the Germans. One was shot in the arm; the other in the face. Evangelista emigrated to America, arriving on April 15, 1921 at Ellis Island. He married Maria Antonia Fariello on February 3, 1924. They had five daughters and I have complete records of his daughters and their descendants. I have nothing on his brothers, but their names and one picture showing one brother with my grandfather as a baby, who appears to be 4-5 years older than my grandfather. I believe the brothers never emigrated to America.

nicolefazio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Domenico and Vito Lorusso

Postby nicolefazio » 13 May 2012, 05:27

Do you know if they ever came to the USA?

Have you tried to use the LDS records? here is a link to the Altamura records.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... m%2F680699

I just recently found my cousins on Facebook. They gave me a lot of information I was looking for. I started by adding the town as a friend my grandma is from (grumo appula). I searched her surname and messaged all of them and I got responses and we were able to confirm being 2nd cousins. I looked up the town 'altamura' on Facebook and searched their friends under the surname Lorusso here is the link.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/26290769 ... ry=lorusso

If they died in WW1 they might have been laid to rest elsewhere... I wish I could help you more but try the Facebook thing. It worked for me :). Good luck.

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 13 May 2012, 17:23

Your link was helpful. However, I seem unable to duplicate what you did for other towns and surnames. For instance, Grumo Appula for Fariello and Racalmuto, Sicily for Puma. I tried using the Find Friend feature. Please give me step by step directions so that I can find these and others myself.

nicolefazio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nicolefazio » 18 May 2012, 06:46

It all depends on if the town or city has a Facebook page .. or fan page.
I would start by typing in the towns name in the search bar... and see what comes up... like or friend all of the towns that are what your looking for and than search their friends. Its a luck of the draw.. I also occasionally google ' Name of town I'm looking for' archivo . I just found out today my 3rd great grandfather is from Altamura :). Most of my Grandmas family is from Grumo Appula. Do you have the first names of the people you are looking for (Fariello and Racalmuto) from Grumo, and approx birth years. I can try to help you, if you let me know these.

Grumo Appula has a great archive website- http://www.greum.it/
Here is the direct link to the translated version:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... md%3Dimvns

Grumo Appula webs Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/grumoappula.web/friends

For Sicily you might need a more specific region or area.

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 18 May 2012, 16:34

I really appreciate the help you are giving me. For Grumo Appula, I have a married couple - Rocco Fariello and Maria Tricarico who had a child Nicola Fariello on 2 November 1827. He married Eufrasia Derasmo and they had at least 4 children. I would like to find out the parents, brothers, sisters, and other children of Rocco Fariello and Maria Tricarico.
Racalmuto is not a person's name, but a town in Agrigento, Sicily. There I am looking for the parents, brothers, and sisters of the married couple Salvatore Puma (also shown as Salvadore Di Puma on the Mormon site) and Maria Rosa Carlino. I believe both were born in the late 1790s (it varies based on the ages given to them at the birth of different children of theirs on the Mormon site). They had 6 children (Vincenza, Gaetano, Calogero, Salvatrice, Maria Concetta, and Salvadore). What's confusing here is that sometimes the children show up with a double last name - Pagliarello Puma and it continued for a couple of generations before disappearing.

nicolefazio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nicolefazio » 18 May 2012, 23:38

You are very welcome :). I remember seeing the surname Fariello alot, in the records for Grumo. I'll see if I can find any more information. I hope you get a chance you get a chance to look at that site I posted about Grumo Appula, it is a greatsite that Ive found a lot of great information.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”