Pesanti/Pesante & Sarricchio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Pesanti/Pesante & Sarricchio

Postby bkworm10 » 01 May 2012, 22:56

Hi,

I have decided to tackle this brick wall again. I have a little bit more information, but thought I would throw this out there, in case anyone can help. I've attached the marriage record of Rocco Pesante/Pisanti and Carmela Gioscia Sarricchio below. Carmela is my g-g-grandmother and she remarried Rocco after her first husband (my g-g-grandfather) Vito Sarricchio died in Philadelphia (in 1896 - I found his death record online). You can see Rocco's signature on the marriage record and it looks like Pisante. I also found him in the Philadelphia city directory in 1908, listed as Rocco Pisanti, mason, at 820 S. Mildred, which is the general vicinity of Carmela's daughter Teresa Sarricchio Laraia (they lived at 711 S. Mildred). Other than Carmela's ship record (thanks to Tessa for finding that), I can find no other information on Carmela, Rocco or Carmela's children, Isabella Nunziata Sarricchio (b. 1888) and Francesco Sarricchio (b. 1891). I know they stayed here in Philadelphia as my grandfather went to live with his grandmother after his mother died in 1914. Carmela and Rocco lived at 827 Bainbridge in 1900, according to their marriage record. I go to that address on the 1900 census and they are not there. They lived at 820 S Mildred in 1908 and I have looked in that area both on the 1900 and 1910 census with no luck. Can anyone help? I really want to find out what happened to my g-g-grandmother and her two children and whether she had any children with Rocco! Thanks so much! -Annette

http://s8.postimage.org/mbtcengj9/Pesan ... iage_1.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/pu5cb1hf9/Pesan ... iage_2.jpg

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Pesanti/Pesante & Sarricchio

Postby Tessa78 » 02 May 2012, 01:27

Don't know how this record "fits" but I thought I would post it in case you haven't seen it...
Rocco Pisante - Philadelphia, St. Paul's Episcopal Church
About half way down the list...
Indicates what looks like membership - with cert. from Pittsburgh, then Return to Pittsburgh in 1902 (don't know if it means Rocco returned or cert. was returned :? )

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 02 May 2012, 03:07

Hi Tessa! Thanks - it could be him, I really don't know. I would think he was Catholic (Carmela was, as were all my ancestors from Italy), although it appears they were married by a justice of the peace in Philadelphia, rather than in a Church. I did find (I think) earlier today a Rocco Pisante in Pittsburgh, with a Declaration of Intent to naturalize (in 1890-something). So maybe this is the same Rocco! Where did you find this record?

Carmela is really an enigma to me and I really want to find out as much as I can about her. BTW, I did want to mention that my grandfather lived with Carmela, his grandmother, when he was about 12 or 13, which would place Carmela in Philadelphia in 1919/1920. So why can't I find her in any of the censuses?! Maybe I should look for her in Pittsburgh?

Thanks!
-Annette

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 02 May 2012, 03:22

Hi Annette :-)

I found that record on www.familysearch.org

As for Carmela in the 1920 Census... you would be AMAZED at the spellings that occur for surnames!!! :shock:

Keep tryining :-)

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 02 May 2012, 04:42

Tessa, take a look at this! He has the same occupation: Mason! He applied for marriage license in 1894. I wonder if this is Rocco!. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that on his marriage license with Carmela, it says his wife died in Italy, 3 years prior. Unless, he just misunderstood the question.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1589502

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 02 May 2012, 05:05

That looks pretty good! Birthdate agree? He lists 1848 - The Rocco who married Carmela listed his age as 44, I think? Can't remember...

However, misunderstanding the question is definitely a possibility...

Funny, I found another marriage license in Philadelphia (index only) for a Rocco Pesanto marrying someone whose last name was Boscero. It was in 1899.

Most curious fellow if they are all the same guy! :shock:

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 02 May 2012, 05:34

Yes Tessa, I saw that too! I thought that was strange, especially since he says he was only married once and that his wife died 3 years ago in Italy. Yes, he was a curious fellow, I agree, if the same guy.

I think I will search for Teresa's death record and see if that tells me anything. Maybe a Boscero death record too? And I think I may call Holy Cross cemetery in Philadelphia and see if a Rocco Pisanti is buried there (with wife Carmela).

I'll keep you posted...thanks!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 02 May 2012, 16:10

Sounds like a good plan! :-)

Good luck...

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”