Going on a family history adventure in Caltanissetta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Going on a family history adventure in Caltanissetta

Postby Jen C. » 04 May 2012, 20:28

Hi there,

I'm new to this webpage and to genealogical research. I am a young solo female traveler going to Sicily for the first time to accomplish one thing and one thing only: Find as much about my family as possible.

My great grandparents came to the US via Ellis Island from Caltanissetta. I can't seem to find my great grandmothers information through Ellis Island records because of spelling? I think you spell her name Giuannina Lamonico (and that is what it sounds like, if the spelling is different). She would have come to the US between 1910-1915-ish. I was able to find my great-grandfathers record. His name is Michele Cordaro and came in 1910 (a year or more before my great grandmother came) at the age of 18. His birthday is Jan. 1, 1892, according to Ellis Island date of arrive minus his age upon arrival. However, my great uncle (Michele's son) says he was born in 1889. Not sure who is right.

I'll be leaving to go to Caltanissetta and I'm trying to find as much info as possible before I go. I don't speak Italian or Sicilian, so this will prove difficult I think. I also am not a member of Ancestry.com and can't afford it on a student budget.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find where they used to live, work, go to school, family member that might still be in Caltanissetta and alive, etc? I know that records are stored at the "Ufficio Anagrafe" in Caltanissetta but I have no idea how I'm going to show up there and accomplish anything without proper spellings, DOB/DOD, or no Italian. Any advice would be amazing!

Sorry for this long message... and thank you all for anything you can offer.

Warmly,
Jen Cordaro
~Someday I may change the world, but for today the world will change me~
[Looking for Surnames: Cordaro, Lomonico, Bruno, Asarisi]

vj
Master
Master

Re: Going on a family history adventure in Caltanissetta

Postby vj » 05 May 2012, 17:04

Jen's information also on this post:
topic25100.html

Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Going on a family history adventure in Caltanissetta

Postby Jen C. » 05 May 2012, 17:56

How did this get posted twice? ...so strange. I think I must have sent two requests without realizing it. Sorry about that. Please disregard this post.
~Someday I may change the world, but for today the world will change me~
[Looking for Surnames: Cordaro, Lomonico, Bruno, Asarisi]

Return to “Italian Genealogy”