Looking for Grandfather WWII Military Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gasparem

Looking for Grandfather WWII Military Info

Postby Gasparem » 22 May 2012, 02:25

My grandfather passed away many years ago. I remember him telling me some stories about his time in the Italian army during WWII. He ended up being a POW in Germany. How can I go about finding out more about his time in the Army and maybe where he was a POW. His name: Gaspare Marturano Many thanks.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Grandfather WWII Military Info

Postby adelfio » 22 May 2012, 14:23

Welcome to IG website can you give a little more info about Gaspare Marturano like birth date where he settled in the US and when he emigrated. There a italian military record sites online but you need to know where from Italy he was from?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

carletto

Postby carletto » 22 May 2012, 14:40

Hello, I am a newbie from Rome, Italy and your site intrigues me very much and I hope to be useful. Yes this information is possible. Years ago I too have searched for information for a relative of mine and I discovered that information about the military service of all people born up to 1930 are NOW preserved at the State Archives of the province of birth of the person. So if you know the city 'of birth or residence at the time of the call to arms you can have all its military history (Italian Military Records) in Italian is called "Foglio Matricolare".
( for people born after 1930 this is again at "Distretto Militare" this is the list : http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~itawg ... cords.html)
There's only one problem: this thing/information you should do it in person, I do not think you can request documents / copies in electronic or e-mail
Sorry for the automatic Google translator :-)

Gasparem

Postby Gasparem » 23 May 2012, 01:06

He was born in Ribera Sicily, and he was born 1922, and settled in NY years after the war.

Gasparem

Postby Gasparem » 06 Jun 2012, 22:40

Still looking no luck yet. @Sabino, I have emailed the address you posted.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”