Angelo Baratta (Barratta)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brian j barlow

Angelo Baratta (Barratta)

Postby brian j barlow » 29 May 2012, 09:29

My wife's grandfather was Angello Baratta (Barratta). He was born in Lipari on 14th March in 1869 and came to Australia inj 1892, having obtained a passport from Naples in 1891. He was illerate (Could not read or write) was a fisherman and we believe he came to Sydney on the SS Oroya in May or June 1892. He lived in Woolloomooloo in Sydney and was naruralised on 7th May 1909.I am trying to find out anything I can about either him or the family or how to proceed from here.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Angelo Baratta (Barratta)

Postby Italysearcher » 29 May 2012, 20:30

Civil records for Lipari are on line at www.family search.org
Registri dello stato civile di Lipari (Messina), 1820-1910
author: Lipari (Messina). Ufficio dello stato civile
availability: Online
Translations are available on my website and tips on searching the records.
You should be able to find Angelo Barratta's birth record and back further generations.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 29 May 2012, 20:37

Hello Brian,

As Ann states, you can search the records yourself :-)

But I'll get you started...

Angelo's actual birthdate was 18 February 1869, in Lipari.

Here is the record and a translation for you :-D

Record #29 on the bottom left

Translation:
In the year 1869 on day 19 of the month of February, before the official...appeared ANTONINO BARATTA, son of the deceased Francesco, of age 45, occupation laborer, residing in Lipari; to present a male child to the official and to declare that yesterday (18th) at 4 PM to his wife ROSA MOLLICA, daughter of deceased Antonino, living with him at the place they inhabit at the marina of San Nicolo, and to say that the child was given the name ANGELO.
Witnesses to the recording of this record were Salvatore Megna, son of Angelo, age 31, a shoemaker; and Mariano D'Ambra, son of deceased Mariano, age 51, a barber.

T.

brian j barlow

Postby brian j barlow » 30 May 2012, 01:25

That is wonderful information and we will pursue the details. Let's see if we can find if there were brothers and sisters etc.
Brian Barlow

Return to “Italian Genealogy”