Vito Calvelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kcalvelli

Vito Calvelli

Postby kcalvelli » 29 May 2012, 21:13

I am searching for more information on my great-grandfather, Vito Calvelli. Here is what I know:

He arrived in Ellis Island in December of 1899, aboard the SS Werra, sailing out of Genoa. His last residence was Stigliano, Italy. He had an uncle in NY, whose name I cannot make out (looks like Nicola to me). At Ellis Island, his name was listed as "Vido Calvello,"and in his first US census, it was recorded as "Vito Calvello." Every census thereafter has his name recorded as "Vito Calvelli" and my family has always used the name "Calvelli."

Specifically I am interested in any pre-emigration information that may be available. His last residence was Stigliano, but from my research it appears there are two places in Italy named Stigliano - one near Siena and one in Basilicata. There appear to be far more Calvellis living in Tuscany than in other provinces, and the ship left from Genoa as opposed to Naples for this particular trip ... but the vast majority of folks who emigrated from Italy in this time period came from the South. If I can pinpoint the exact location he came from, I feel like I may have better luck getting old world information on my family.

I would also be very interested if anyone had any information on the roots of the Calvelli name. When I was a kid my dad told us we were descended from Roman centurions, and the name meant "Horseman." I now know that Calvelli is really the plural diminutive of "bald" ... so rather than centurions we are descended from a bunch of little bald people. Figures.

Any information provided would be appreciated!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Vito Calvelli

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jun 2012, 17:01

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Looking at the ship manifest... my thoughts on the uncle's name - Michele Rasulo. :-)

For reference...
Is this your GGF and his family in 1930 census?

1930 United States Federal Census about Veto Calvello
Name: Veto Calvello
[Vito Calvello]
Birth Year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Yonkers, Westchester, New York
View Map
Marital Status: Widowed
Immigration Year: 1899
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Members:
Name Age
Veto Calvello 57
Anthony Calvello 22
James Calvello 20
Angelina Calvello 15

AND - is the Famly Tree on Ancestry yours? owner... lavvr

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jun 2012, 17:46

There are currently 5 listings in the Italian Phone Book in Stigliano (Matera, Basilicata) for the surname CALVELLO (no listings for Calvelli)

http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... o+%28MT%29

Should you wish to write to these potential relatives, here is help with letters in Italian, and some tips on writing to Italy including the proper address format. :-)

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html

You can also write directly to the Comune of Stigliano to request a birth or marriage record.
Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Zanardelli, 33
75018 Stigliano
ITALY

Help with a letter of request in Italian...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

AND - it is possible that the surname CALVELLO/I derived from a geographic origin.
See this link (in Italian) which speaks of the origins of the name - scroll down the page.
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 03cali.htm

T.

kcalvelli

Postby kcalvelli » 06 Jun 2012, 16:17

Thank you for the responses!

Yes ... that is my GGF on the 1930 census. Anthony was my grandfather (although I never met him, I know this from my father). That is also my tree on Ancestry.com. If you take a look at that you can see that I hit a brick wall in all areas when it came to any information about the old country.

I guess I am mostly confused about the Calvello vs. Calvelli thing. As you see, both names were used, but the one that stuck with the family was Calvelli. I was working under the assumption that the use of Calvello on the ship manifest and the one census was due to error on the part of the individual who transcribed the name. After all ... they spelled "Vito" incorrectly as well! I am fairly certain that Vito was not able to read or write, so would not have been able to spell his name if asked.

I also checked the Italian white pages and saw that there were no Calvellis listed in the Commune of Stigliano in Basilicata, yet there are many in Tuscany, which is where the Village of Stigliano is located. That led me to think that our origins may be there as opposed to the Commune of Stigliano.

If the key to my search is that Calvello is indeed correct ... then that makes it that much easier, outside of trying to understand why we have always self-identified as Calvelli.

The information regarding the origins of Calvelli/Calvello was very interesting, thank you! I was concerned that maybe our last name originated as an insult of some very short, very bald people! :D

My purpose in collecting this information is potentially seeking out Italian citizenship, so it is very key that I identify the exact origins of my family in Italy. Thanks again for the help!

kcalvelli

Postby kcalvelli » 06 Jun 2012, 16:42

I just checked on Michele Rasulo as Vito's potential uncle. Your ability to read scribble is absolutely amazing, as the name checks out! He arrived with his family in January of 1899, with his place of origin as 'Itigliano' (obviously a misspelling). There was also another family on the same ship named Petronella, that originated from someplace in Italy called 'Calvella' ... that seems like too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence!

At this point I think it is highly likely that we originated in the commune of Stigliano!

Thank you!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Jun 2012, 18:58

Keep up the search! You never know when there will be a break-through! :-)

However, you may want to consider these possibilities for "Stigliano" as well :shock:

Stigliano, comune of San Severino Marche - province: Macerata - region: Marche
Stigliano, comune of Santa Maria di Sala - province: Venezia - region: Veneto
Stigliano, comune of Sovicille - province: Siena - region: Tuscany
Stigliano, comune of Stigliano - province: Matera - region: Basilicata

CALVELLO (I have not found a Calvella) is a comune in Basilicata :-)
Calvello, comune of Calvello - province: Potenza - region: Basilicata

FYI - when I look at Vito's manifest, I see his first name spelled correctly, it is an old form of "t" - and I think the transcriber read it as a "d" :-)

T.

Marcas
Rookie
Rookie
Location: Marche (in picture: the Pope venerates Our Lady of Loreto in the real Loreto, which lies in Marche)

Postby Marcas » 17 Aug 2014, 23:55

It's unlikely the one in Macerata, Marche under my research.
I suggest heavely the Siena, Tuscany one. Also checkout cities near Firenze, Tuscany
-- Marcas

Expert in Marche region Image
Origins, surnames, emigrations, families, certificates of birth marriage and death...

Return to “Italian Genealogy”