deciphering a name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rwd10

deciphering a name

Postby rwd10 » 09 Jun 2012, 21:19

I have a last name for my great grandmother and her husband that I cannot figure out. I am guessing that the American census taker spelled the last name phonetically and that is why I cannot find any record of the couple anywhere else. Would anyone have any idea what this name might be? The wife is Maria V (maiden name Chichino? Might also be mispelled by American who recorded it) and her husband Rocco Paconhio?..Pacconnio?....Piconne?....Paconne? who were recorded in the 1910 Philadelphia census living with Guiseppe Cavaliere AKA Joseph Cavalier, my grandfather. Maria gave birth to my grandfather March 19, 1889 in Gesso Palena, Chieta, Abruzzo, Italy and later lived in Pretoro before moving to Philadelphia around 1895. If anyone has any ideas how I could figure out the last name, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! Roberta Dell.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: deciphering a name

Postby Italysearcher » 10 Jun 2012, 11:51

Request your Grandfathers birth record from the town. It will come back with the right name, especially since you have the birthdate!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 10 Jun 2012, 14:43

Is it possible for you to post the Census record?

Thanks,

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 10 Jun 2012, 15:13

Sorry, I found the census record for 1910.

rwd10

Postby rwd10 » 10 Jun 2012, 19:31

Thanks to both of you for your help! I didn't know if I sent a request for the birth certificate if they would be able to communicate with me as I don't speak Italian, also didn't know if I had to send money first and if so, how much? That is a great idea, also, about posting the 1910 census in question, in case anybody recognized what the last name could be, but whenever I've tried to send something from Ancestry, it doesn't work. My grandfather's Social Security ap says his father's name was Ferdinand Cavalier. (Can't find anything at all in Philly for him either) Trouble is, his father was married to someone else at the time of my grandfather's birth, and when the wife found out about the mistress (my great grandmother,) she left in a huff for the US, around 1892. The husband promptly sent passage money for the mistress who also arrived in Philadelphia in 1892, 1893. The wife found out the mistress was in town and she returned in another huff, to Italy, quickly followed by my great grandmother and my grandfather's return to Italy and they moved to Pretoro. (This has to be one of the strangest immigration stories in the universe!) The wife returned in a third huff (all this according to my late mother) to the US as did my grandfather and his mother, about 1895. The wife finally gave up or got tired of sailing back and forth, and stayed put in Philadelphia. My great grandmother/mistress married about this time to said Rocco of the unknown last name. I wanted his name to look up my great grandmother's death certificate and locate the cemetery records. I really appreciate the help I've been given so far. Any and all ideas are very welcome! Roberta.

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 10 Jun 2012, 19:58

Maybe Rocco married Angelina LaMaestra
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... ecoff=9+10

rwd10

Postby rwd10 » 10 Jun 2012, 20:36

JoAnne, thanks for the name! I will definitely see if I can find anything more on the last name of Picciano. Unfortunately, this Rocco Picciano was alive long after my Maria's Rocco had died. I am certain her Rocco must have died before Maria, as my grandfather had total care of his mother before her death around 1918. According to my mother, Maria wouldn't let my grandmother, who wasn't Italian, take care of her when she became sick (she wouldn't even speak to her, actually, even though they lived in the same house) and she would wait until my grandfather got home at night and he would tend to her in her last illness. (Strong willed lady, eh what?) Also, my mother was born in 1918 and she said her grandmother and namesake died when my mother was a only few months old, so Maria was dead some time in 1918. Also, neither Rocco nor Maria were in the 1920 census. I'm off to check out Picciano. Thanks again!

EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Postby EMTLP » 10 Jun 2012, 21:25

Can you copy and paste link for census so others can see it. I searched for Guiseppe Cavaliere in 1910 Federal Census in Philadelphia Pennsylvania and can't find him? What spelling did you use for your search?

Also since all these folks were going back and forth to Italy how about looking for ship manifests?

I'd be glad to help but can even see what your are seeing.
Eileen

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 10 Jun 2012, 21:31

The wife is Maria V (maiden name Chichino? Might also be mispelled by American who recorded it)

This name is most probably CICCHINI, a name found in Gessopalena, Chieti :-)

T.

EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Postby EMTLP » 10 Jun 2012, 21:55

How about getting an obituary for Joseph Cavalier from the library? It might list his parents names and his mother's maiden name.

Would this be the same Joseph from the Social Security Death Index?
d. 19073 Newtown Square, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Born: 19 Mar 1889
Died: Jan 1966

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 10 Jun 2012, 22:19

There are form letters on line for writing in Italian to Italy for records. Anything else you do is just guesswork at this point.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

rwd10

Postby rwd10 » 11 Jun 2012, 14:08

My last post evidently didn't go through, so I'll repost it: I do have the obit for my grandfather, but no one in the family knew much about his early years as he never really talked about them. (After mercilessly pestering him to tell me something, anything about his life in Italy, he finally told me he lived next door to the Pope and stopped by to chat with him every night and give him advice. Out of his other window, he told me, he would watch Mt. Etna explode every night. When I went in and told my first grade nun my exciting news about my grandfather and his close friend the Pope, I was shocked when she hollared at me for "lieing". Boy, did my grandpop get a huge laugh out of my 6 year old outraged sense of injustice!) That was the last time I asked him about Italy, you can be sure. Everything my mother knew she had learned from her mother.

About the 1910 census, my grandfather seemed to have Anglicized his name a couple years earlier as he is listed in the Philadalphia City Directory of 1908 as Guiseppe Cavaliere Jr., occupation lithographer or printer (He worked as a printer all his life), living at 1223 Dickenson Street, the same address on his naturalization papers. There is, oddly, another Guiseppe at the same address, (Who he???)even though my grandfather said his father's name was Ferdinand in his SS ap. Can you be "Jr." in Italy through anyone other than your father? By 1909 in the City Directory, the one Guiseppe is no longer at the address and my grandfather was now listed as Joseph Cavalier. So the 1910 census would be Joseph not Guiseppe. I am certain it is him, as 1223 Dickenson is the same address on his naturalization application, as it lists his four sons, (my uncles) Joseph, Rocco, William and Edward. (I guess my Uncle Rocky was named after my grandfather's stepfather?)

About the ship manifests, my grandfather's naturalization ap says he came over on the ship "Manila" (but I suspect that was Massillia, looking at the Ellis Island records). But I couldn't locate him there. It says he arrived January 8, 1901, but he was supposed to have come over when he was 3 and again when he was 7, but he would have been 12 in 1901 so I'm not sure about the date.

As for the town records, I guess they are next! Thanks to all! Roberta.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 11 Jun 2012, 17:03

Tessa78 wrote:
The wife is Maria V (maiden name Chichino? Might also be mispelled by American who recorded it)

This name is most probably CICCHINI, a name found in Gessopalena, Chieti :-)

T.

Other possibility for Maria's maiden name is CHECCHIA, found in Chieti. :-)

Found this death record for a 2 month old child.
Born in Philadelphia to Joseph Cavalieri and Maria Checchia...
Possible connection????

Name: Anne Cavalier
Event: Death
Event Date: 20 Jan 1907
Event Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Estimated Birth Year: 1907
Birth Date: 21 Nov 1906
Birthplace: Phila
Marital Status: Single
Spouse:
Father: Josaeph Cavalieri
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother: Maria Checchia
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Street Address: 720 Brood St
Residence: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Cemetery: Holy Cross Cemetery
Burial Place: Philadelphia, Pa.
Burial Date: 22 Jan 1907
Additional Relatives:
Film Number: 1319487
Digital Folder Number: 4008859
Image Number: 89
Reference Number: cn 2083

T.

rwd10

Postby rwd10 » 11 Jun 2012, 18:21

Tessa, Thank you so much for the info! I actually came back on line because I had omitted to thank you for the very excellent clue that Cicchini was a family name in Gessopalena. As I was walking home from the store, I decided that after sending a quick thank you e-mail to you, that I would go back and check Ancestry and Ellis Island for a Maria Cicchini with a boy named Guiseppe born in 1889. So thank you for that! About the above Joseph Cavalieri, with the daughter, Ann, my Joseph Cavalier was married to Sarah Bohn around that time, and they were definitely living at 1223 Dickenson from at least 1907 until after 1911. By the 1930 census they were on 56th Street in Philly so that the Joseph you sent is not him but that doesn't mean he wasn't a relative. Actually there was another Joseph Cavalier who also lived in the Italian section of Philly on Christian Street who had a very large family. He was my Number One Suspect for my grandfather's father until the naturalization papers said his father was Ferdinand Cavalier. Anyway, there was an story about these other Cavaliers in a 1908 Philly newspaper that said that Joseph and his wife were drugged and all his valuables downstairs were stolen (He was a tailor who lived above his shop.) and that the house was then set on fire and that this Joseph Cavalier's 18 year old son Angelo rescued his parents by dragging them and dropping them out a window and then rescued his little sisters and his grandmother the same way. The reason I thought this Joseph Cavalier was connected to MY Joseph Cavalier was...get this...Angelo Cavalier, the hero son who rescued his family, then bought the house at 1222 Dickenson, presumably right smack across the street from my grandfather at 1223 Dickenson! Could that just have been a coincidence? I don't know. It seems the more I learn the more confusing the "facts" become! I'm off to check out the last name Cicchini in the Philadelphia census. Thank so much! Roberta.

EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Postby EMTLP » 11 Jun 2012, 19:32

Hi,
I've been searching ship Manilla manifests and came up with this
Ma. Teresa Ciccone arrived Oct 08, 1900 Napoli Line 6 going to husband Rocco ? in New York

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\IMAGES\\T715-0153\\T715-01530146.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=604890070036&name=Ma.+Teresa%26nbsp%3BCiccone&doa=Oct+08%2C+1900&port=Napoli&line=0006

Return to “Italian Genealogy”