Philamena ...... Appleton

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AnnmarieClark

Philamena ...... Appleton

Post by AnnmarieClark »

Hi, I know this is a long shot but I am hoping that someone, somewhere, knows something....

I am looking for my great grandmother, however I only know her first names - Philamena Josephine. I also know that she was born in Italy and then moved to Brookly, New York where, according to the story, she was adopted by a family called Appleton. She then moved to Bermuda where she got married to a Francis Daniel Martin (a real jerk) and for a while she moved back to Brooklyn but this time under the name of Philamena Martin. She listed her maiden name as Appleton when she gave birth to her children (one of who was borned in Brooklyn, the rest here in Bermuda).

I am not even sure of her birth date as the age she listed on her marriage certificate does not tie in with the age listed on her death certificate. I believe she was born in 1863 though (to cover all bases 1860 - 1865).

Hopefully, someone out there knows something of her - her family, her siblings, something that will enable me to find out more about her.

From all accounts she was a lovely person and I'd love to be able to pass on something more to my children than just her first name!
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Philamena ...... Appleton

Post by pink67 »

Hi, welcome to the forum,

just for reference could this 1880 census be correct for Filomena?

1880 United States Federal Census

Name: Philmena Appleton
Birth Year: abt 1863
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1880: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane:

View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles L. Roe 38
Eleanor B. Roe 27
Eleanor P. Roe 3
Charles L. Roe 8
Eliza Ann Lee 20
Philmena Appleton 17, servant, born in Italy

Laura
AnnmarieClark

Re: Philamena ...... Appleton

Post by AnnmarieClark »

Thank you so much for this and for being so quick! This certainly looks as if it is her (and supports the year I think she was born) but I don't think Appleton is her maiden name. I am wondering if she couldn't read or write - in English only - as she had just arrived from Italy. I say that because she doesn't appear to be on any other census which means that she either arrived in the States some time after the last census or she had another name on the last census. My mother who never met her says that she always heard that she was a really wonderful person who didn't have a very nice life - especiallly with her husband - and then she died quite young - only 48. I'd really like to pay tribute to her. Thanks again, Annmarie