Help trying to identify misspelled hometown?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kylesobrien

Help trying to identify misspelled hometown?

Postby kylesobrien » 10 Jun 2012, 19:26

Greetings,

I recently began the search for my great-grandmother's family origins, after making some progress while sorting out my great-grandfather's family history. I am trying to identify their comune of origin with some help from her brother's U.S. naturalization paperwork, although I believe these details were incorrectly transcribed. If anyone is able to help, I would really appreciate it. My two questions:

1. Does the surname Figola seem correctly spelled? I have started wondering if it may have originally been Figliola. I haven't found my great-grandmother's name on any ship manifests so far, and I think it may be because her maiden name was spelled slightly differently.

2. The naturalization paperwork I found lists the birthplace as "Arpelia, Chilende, Italy" -- I think this may have been a spelling error, since these placenames look very strange to me. My first thought is that Arpelia could be either Aprilia (in Lazio) or Apulia, and Chilende could be Cilento. I'm pretty lost here.

I have the date their ship arrived in New York (again, from the naturalization papers), but I'm not sure which ship it was and don't know how to search for manifests for that date. I'm optimistic that a ship manifest could help shed some light on their ancestral home.

Mille grazie!

princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help trying to identify misspelled hometown?

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 10 Jun 2012, 19:39

hello and welcome,
what are the names that you are searching for maybe we can find further records for you that may shed some light on the town you are looking for.
Italy80

kylesobrien

Postby kylesobrien » 10 Jun 2012, 19:48

Hi princessbubbles_1,

The names I'm looking for are Vincenzo (James) Figola and Anna Concetta Figola. The other relatives didn't have any naturalization paperwork I could find online via Ancestry.com. There's a NARA branch within 35 minutes of where I live, and I had thought about traveling there to request a search in person, but I haven't done this yet.

His recorded birthdate is 9 September 1895. They arrived from Naples on 15 September 1897. Her birthdate is 2 March 1890. She also had a brother Carmen and a sister Clara. The father's name was Giuseppe (anglicized to Joseph) and the mother's name was Rosaline. Vincenzo naturalized in Pittsburgh, PA.

Thanks!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 10 Jun 2012, 21:29

This may or may not help
It appears that it was the second marriage for both Giuseppe and Rosaline?
Possibly married in the US?
Valarie

Probable 1910 census (mangled surname)
http://imageshack.us/a/img831/1659/1910k.jpg
next page
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4730/1910bm.jpg

Home in 1910:
Railroad Street
Elizabeth Twp, Allegheny, Pennsylvania

head Joe Truglion 53, abt 1857 Italy
- married twice
- married 4 yrs, abt 1906
- immig?, Na (not naturalized on other census records)
- laborer railroad
wife Rosaline Truglion 40, abt 1870 Italy
- married twice
- 6 children born, 4 children living
- immig ?
son James Truglion 15, abt 1895 Italy
daughter Cornelia (Carmela) F Truglion 14, abt 1896 Pennsylvania
son Jermaine (Carmine) Truglion 11, abt 1899 Pennsylvania
daughter Jennie Truglion 13, abt 1897 Italy
- immig 1908
son Henry Truglion 10, abt 1900 Italy
- immig 1908
son Sam Truglion 2 or 3, abt 1907-8 Pennsylvania
daughter Rose Figliova 3, abt 1907 Pennsylvania
also 3 boarders (possibly related)

kylesobrien

Postby kylesobrien » 10 Jun 2012, 22:09

vj,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Most of what I'm going on is either from my great-grandmother's obituary, or from the naturalization paperwork for my great-granduncle. The obituary can be seen here (surname changed after she remarried):

http://smc.stparchive.com/Archive/SMC/S ... 963p03.php

Elizabeth Township is definitely in the right region, but I can't really say if this is related given the data I have available. By 1910, my great-grandmother had already married (in 1906) my great-grandfather (he arrived in 1902), so it's unlikely she would still be living with them by that time. They were probably living in Boston, McKeesport, New Castle, or Masontown, PA between 1906 and 1910. By 1920 the census suggests that they were living in Elizabeth Township. While it seems like Truglion is a bit different from Figola, I've seen weirder variations on names before.

EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Postby EMTLP » 10 Jun 2012, 22:18

What is her first name and what year do you have for her arrival?

EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Postby EMTLP » 10 Jun 2012, 22:20

Opps. Didn't see above.

kylesobrien

Postby kylesobrien » 11 Jun 2012, 05:19

Without getting too excited, I think I may have found some useful information. I located these details on a Campania-focused genealogy site, which match the birth years and have similar enough names to be worthy of additional research. I will try to corroborate these details from other sources:

Giuseppe Figliola
Born: c.1856 to Francescantonio Figliola and Carmela Garzione
Married: Rosa d’Agosto 18.10.1886, Agropoli
Children: Concetta b.1890, Vincenzo b.1895

The site containing the above information is called Imagines Maiorum, in case it's helpful to anyone else. I was successful in finding my great-grandfather's surname there as well (apparently they have been in Agropoli for a very long time):

http://www.imaginesmaiorum.net/surname.cfm?id=515

kylesobrien

Postby kylesobrien » 11 Jun 2012, 06:16

I apologize for all the thread spam today -- I just wanted to post any successes I've had in case they help others.

I was able (finally!) to find my great-grandfather's PA marriage certificate using http://familysearch.org and Concetta Figliola (rather than Anna Figola). It's amazing what a few minor breakthroughs can do for you.

Thanks again for your help!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 11 Jun 2012, 17:34

kylesobrien wrote:I apologize for all the thread spam today -- I just wanted to post any successes I've had in case they help others.

I was able (finally!) to find my great-grandfather's PA marriage certificate using http://familysearch.org and Concetta Figliola (rather than Anna Figola). It's amazing what a few minor breakthroughs can do for you.

Thanks again for your help!

"Figliola"
Congratulations on finding the marriage certificate!
Don't worry about posting a lot - we love seeing progress
Thank you for the update
Valarie

EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Postby EMTLP » 11 Jun 2012, 20:28

This site is great for searching ship manifests

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ellisgold.html?

jlfigola

Postby jlfigola » 18 Jul 2012, 18:59

I'm hoping that I can contact to kylesobrien on the Figola family. I have been recently researching my husband's family. A Vincenzo (James) Figola is his Grandfather. The information I have found (his Naturalization Papers) show his birthdate as October 9, 1894, born in Arpelia, Chilende, Italy. His wife's name was Susan McGinn born in Scotland. Some census information I found states Vincenzo (James)'s parents were both born in Italy but I don't have any names. Any information you might have would be appreciated.

kylesobrien

Postby kylesobrien » 19 Jul 2012, 16:23

Hi jlfigola, welcome to the forum!

If the information I found is correct, your husband's great-grandfather was Giuseppe Figliola:

Giuseppe Figliola
Born: c.1856 to Francescantonio Figliola and Carmela Garzione
Married: Rosa d’Agosto 18.10.1886, Agropoli

His great-grandmother was Rosa D'Agosto:

Rosa d’Agosto
Born: 16.07.1867 to Giuseppe d’Agosto and Carminella Scareno
Married: Giuseppe Figliola 18.10.1886, Agropoli

This information was taken from Imagines Maiorum:

http://www.imaginesmaiorum.net/surname.cfm?id=668
http://www.imaginesmaiorum.net/surname.cfm?id=515

You can go back a few generations using the information on that site. If you want to dig deeper, you can probably contact your local LDS FamilySearch Center and see if they will order microfilm copies for you from the main library in Salt Lake City. It's my understanding that they have records for Agropoli (where some of your husband's ancestors originated) dating back almost 200 years. I have not done this myself, so I can't say what you will find.

I hope this is helpful. If I can try to answer any more questions, please let me know!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”