Trying to locate my Great Grandfather's Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
laurajksn

Trying to locate my Great Grandfather's Name

Postby laurajksn » 11 Jun 2012, 00:40

Hi,
My name is Laura, and I know that my grandfather's name was Alfio Oddo. He was born on 19, Dec. 1910 in Carlentini, Sicily. His mother's name was Maria (Marie) Ristuccia or Ristucci, But I have not been able to find any records for his father's name. He also had two sisters that were born in Carlentini, Josephine Oddo and Sarah/Seraphina Oddo. Is there any possibility of finding out my great-grandfather's name?

Many thanks!!

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Trying to locate my Great Grandfather's Name

Postby pink67 » 11 Jun 2012, 09:50

Hi Laura :D

On the site Ancestry.it (or the global subscription to Ancestry.com) you can find the civil registrations for Carlentini town, the database goes to the year 1910 but I wasn't able to find Alfio's birth act, is it possible that he was born on 1911?
However this is Alfio's sister Salvatrice (possibly Sarah) birth act (mother's name matches):

Birth act number 211 - Year 1905

Oddo Salvatrice was born in Carlentini on the day 22 june 1905, daughter of Maria Ristuccia and of Francesco Oddo:

link:
http://search.ancestry.it/Browse/View.a ... ta.1905.73

from the site Ellisisland.org

16 march 1914

Ristuccia Maria, age 29, female, married, nearest relative in Italy her father Rosario Ristuccia in Carlentini , going to Omaha Nebraska to join her husband Francesco Oddo.
Maria was travellin with her children Giuseppa female age 11, Salvatora female age 8, Alfio male age 3, Sebastiana female 7 months. Place of birth for them both is Carlentini

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

Laura

laurajksn

Postby laurajksn » 12 Jun 2012, 02:51

Thank you so much, I thought it might be Francesco, but it still seems a little fuzzy, because their was an older daughter of Maria's named Josephine Oddo, who I believe was born on 19 Dec. 1902. She was my grandfather's older sister, but I the record of them coming into Ellis Island lists a Giuseppa and Salvatora, which didn't seem close to Josephine and Sarah. Would you be able to tell me if Josephine or (Giuseppa's) birth record is also in Carlentini, for 1902 with Maria Ristuccia listed as her mother?
I actually have memories of my Great Aunt Josie and Great Aunt Sarah, but was unfortunately never able to meet my grandfather Alfio.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 12 Jun 2012, 03:30

INDEX 357
1902 Dec 19 before the civil official of Carlentini Luciano Beneventano appeared Francesco Oddo age 41 farmer residing in Carlentini at 9:00 at house at via Archmede?? with his legal wife Maria Ristuccia gave birth to a baby girl named Giuseppa Oddo
Witnesses to the recording of the record
Pasquale Vecchio age 42 Tenant farmer
Giuseppe Bombaci age 24 Tenant farmer
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 12 Jun 2012, 12:51

laurajksn wrote:but I the record of them coming into Ellis Island lists a Giuseppa and Salvatora, which didn't seem close to Josephine and Sarah.

Josephine is the english version for Giuseppa/Giuseppina and Sarah could be very well the english version for Salvatora/Salvatrice....

Laura :D

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 12 Jun 2012, 14:05

INDEX #28 Sebastiano Oddo birth
1908 Jan 21 (DATE OF BIRTH RECORDED ON TH 24th) before the civil official of Carlentini appeared Maria Conezza???? midwife age 46 daughter of deceased Giuseppe in Carlentini at 1:00 at house at via Archmede #24 with Maria Ristuccia and Francesco Oddo son of deceased Paolo Oddo gave birth to a baby boy named Sebastiano Oddo
Witnesses to the recording of the record
Antonio Bandiera age 35
Antonio Vacirca age 51
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

laurajksn

Postby laurajksn » 12 Jun 2012, 18:20

Oh, grazie mille...this is such wonderful information to have. I am leaving for Rome in four days, and even though I won't be able to make it to Sicily, I certainly feel a great connection to this part of my heritage.

Laura

Return to “Italian Genealogy”