Missing dad....TAVANI (California)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Missing dad....TAVANI (California)

Postby LeandraCat » 18 Jun 2012, 17:59

Hi everyone,

I am helping a friend to locate her family.

Eugenio Tavani (b: circa 1851) arrived in California sometime in 1888

His wife, Martha Tavani (Scaramella) arrived in 1894 with two children:
CRISTOFARO (b: 1885), GIOVANNI (b: 1888). The 1900 CA Census (Santa Barbara) has the whole family:

E. Tavani (strange how it's just the first initial and not the full name). He is a farmer. My friend says they had a farm with cows and such.
Martha (wife), Carpovora (this is Cristofaro probably), John (Giovanni), Chella (daughter born in the US), "No Name" (this was another daughter born in the US), she is 4 months old and has no name in this Census - very odd!
It says Martha has given birth to 4 children and 4 are alive.

In the 1910 Census (Santa Barbara), It's E. Tavani (head of household, single), Frank Tavani (father?!), Masto (Martha), Ancella, and Adelina. What is weird is that it says Martha had 3 children and 3 are alive. What happened to Giovanni/John??? And why is the son Head of Household and why is the father's name Frank? I think the census taker made a mistake.

In the 1920 Census (Betteravia, Santa Barbara), it's Maria Tavnni, married, and her son Frank, single, head of household. Very Very Very odd. What happened to the father?

In the 1930 Census, Martha and her son Frank (Cristofaro I guess), are living with the RUFFINO family in Santa Maria. Adeline Tavani (b: 1900), Martha's daughter, married Michael Ruffino. It says that Martha is married, but there is no sign of her husband.

I cannot find father's manifest. I cannot find any of the son's Draft Cards. I cannot find a record of the father going back to Italy...maybe he left with this son Giovanni...I don't know.

I found Martha's death record in California, but I cannot find anything on Eugene Tavani....I am stuck!

If anyone can help me find some more records on this family, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Re: Missing dad....TAVANI (California)

Postby pink67 » 18 Jun 2012, 21:48

Hi Julia,

don't know if you already have the death record for Ancilla Tavani, she died on 11/26/1916:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14216753

and WW1 Draft Registration Card for son Frank:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name: Frank Tovani
County: Santa Barbara
State: California
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 20 Nov 1888
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1544328
DraftBoard: 0

Place of birth Delebio - Sondrio - Lombardy region

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... d=29669166

Re: Missing dad....TAVANI (California)

Postby LeandraCat » 18 Jun 2012, 21:53

Thanks so much! No, I didn't have either of those!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”