Giuliano in Contursi, Salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
psj926

Giuliano in Contursi, Salerno

Postby psj926 » 21 Jun 2012, 13:15

I am searching for information about my great grandfather, Giovanni Giuliano, born in Contursi on February 6, 1862. His brother Salvatore Giuliano was born on April 7, 1875. Father's name was Donato Giuliano and mother's name was Concetta (?). There must have been other children between 1862 and 1875! Any information about this family would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Giuliano in Contursi, Salerno

Postby Paolo47 » 22 Jun 2012, 13:11

Hello, :D
You have a lot of information and it will help in your search.
Here is what I suggest you do.
Email the Province and ask for the birth act for Giovanni.
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/065/index.html
When they reply, they will instruct you how to send for the record.
You should learn his mothers name on this record and the approximate age
of his father, Donato.
You can then write and ask for the State of the Family for Donato. A
good site to construct Italian civil record requests.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Salerno is good about answering requests, sometimes several weeks from the
time you send, so be patient.
Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

psj926

Postby psj926 » 22 Jun 2012, 16:25

Thanks, Paul.

I will definitely follow up on this suggestion. In your experience, is the birth record or a marriage record more informative in Italy? I know that Giovanni Giuliano married Maria Antoinette Monica in about 1887 or 1888 (based on the birth of their first child) and that they were probably married in the nearby town of Serre, since that is where their first child, Antonio, has stated that he was born on Feb. 1, 1889.

Peter

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 22 Jun 2012, 16:47

Is the birth record or a marriage record more informative in Italy? I know that Giovanni Giuliano married Maria Antoinette Monica in about 1887 or 1888

Peter, The marriage record would have the names of both sets of parents and approximate ages. The only problem is if you write to the comune for records after 1865, since this is where the records are kept, you might only get an extract, information transcribed from the actual record onto a form. Most comunes don't have the capability to scan images.
The extract might only have the names of the two people getting married.
Records before 1865 would be found at the Province level where they have the ability to actually scan the original record. With the birth act for Giovanni, You would get a copy of the recorded birth. Having said all of this, no two comunes are the same,so you might want to get the marriage record and find out.
Getting the state of the family for Donato would be the prize. It would list his wife and children. You may be able to get this at the comune level with the information you have.
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/065/046/index.html and you may be successful with an email to Contursi.

Peter, There are many experienced researches on this forum and I am sure they can add to this.

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 22 Jun 2012, 17:03

Paolo47 wrote:... you might only get an extract, information transcribed from the actual record onto a form. Most comunes don't have the capability to scan images.
The extract might only have the names of the two people getting married.

It is true that some Comune do not have the capability to scan images, but all of them can make photocopies... :)
In any case if you ask for an "Estratto per copia integrale dell'atto (di nascita or di matrimonio, or di decesso)" you will get either a photocopy or a full transcription, word by word, of the entire document including annotations.

michele68
Rookie
Rookie

Postby michele68 » 23 Jun 2012, 19:56

I have been to the town of Contursi. The lady is very willing to help.
GENEALOGY SERVICES in Campania, Basilicata, Calabria regions, Italy

psj926

Postby psj926 » 24 Jun 2012, 14:30

Dear Livio, Michele and Paul,

Thank you all for your messages. I have written to the town of Contursi to ask for the birth record of Giovanni. If the town is able to send me that, and if the record provides information about Giovanni's parents, I will probably ask for a state of the family record for Giovanni's father at a later date. Thank you all for your help.

Peter

Return to “Italian Genealogy”