1840 birth records in San Giorgio di Nogaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MRVF

1840 birth records in San Giorgio di Nogaro

Post by MRVF »

I am getting ready to go to Italy and do some research on my great grandfather in S. Giorgio di Nogaro. I'm a bit confused about where his birth record would be located. He was born in 1838-1840. Would the church have his birth record from this year, or would the record be with the city? Also, his lest name (once he got to the states) was Scott. My mother said it was Scotto in Italy, but I'm not confident my mother was correct. Should I look for other name varients like Sciuto, and Scotti? Or is this asking too much? Thanks for any help - Mary Rose
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 1840 birth records in San Giorgio di Nogaro

Post by Tessa78 »

MRVF wrote:I am getting ready to go to Italy and do some research on my great grandfather in S. Giorgio di Nogaro. I'm a bit confused about where his birth record would be located. He was born in 1838-1840. Would the church have his birth record from this year, or would the record be with the city? Also, his lest name (once he got to the states) was Scott. My mother said it was Scotto in Italy, but I'm not confident my mother was correct. Should I look for other name varients like Sciuto, and Scotti? Or is this asking too much? Thanks for any help - Mary Rose

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... to&x=0&y=0

T.
rwilliamh

Post by rwilliamh »

Check out this page: http://www.friulinprin.beniculturali.it ... index.html

I have a good majority of my family from San Giorgio di Nogaro. There is a database on this site (bottom right hand corner of the main page) that you can search. You can search by first name, last name, location, etc. The primary record on the site are from that era of the 1800s. It has been an invaluable resource for me.

A brief look on the site shows some by the name Scolz or Sticotti, which may be of interest to you.
MRVF

Post by MRVF »

Thanks so much - I have looked at this site in the past. It is excellent but there have been no updates since 2012. Since my trip I have discovered that my GGF's name was Georgio Scolz. So, at least I can narrow my search. Thank you again.