Fiumefreddo, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Fiumefreddo, Sicily

Postby ally » 14 Jan 2005, 18:01

I am trying with no luck to find out some info on my paternal grandmothers first marriage. His name was Francesco Straguzzi, also spelt Stragussi, Ellis lists his hometown of Fiumefreddo, but i cannot seem to locate this surname in any databases.

I know he came to Us in early 1900's as my gram married him in 1906-07
I have his father/mother name off death cert. but his mother name is Marchione Travis, this somehow does not sound italian to me. I guess I am wondering if anyone knows where exactly this surname comes from or what the mothers surname is.
And also, never heard of this town.
Thanks

ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Fiumefreddo, Sicily

Postby ptimber » 14 Jan 2005, 18:26

Travis appears in the province of Torino,. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert TO in the third line for locationand click CERCA. Diana Travis is the listing. There is another listing in liguria but it has no telephone number. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 14 Jan 2005, 18:28

OOOOps! I just found two more. One in city of frienze and the other in city of Pescara. Use each city in thrid line for address.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 14 Jan 2005, 18:34

Strraguzzi appears to be in Sicily, Lombardy and Sardinia in 14 towns. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 14 Jan 2005, 18:42

There are three towns in Italy in which Fiumefreddo is part of the name, two are in Calabria and one is in Sicily. Peter

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 14 Jan 2005, 19:03

ally wrote: And also, never heard of this town.
Thanks

Here's a couple of links with some beautiful photos of Fiumefreddo.
It is in the Province of Catania, Sicily. (I checked his manifest to be sure)

http://www.comune.fiumefreddo-di-sicili ... urismo.asp

http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/comun ... cilia.html

What a beautiful town :)

Jim

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 14 Jan 2005, 19:12

To answer your question without stopping off at grandmas house for a tourist trip. if you go to the Family History Librayr of the Mormon church you can rent out the micorfilm for Fiumefreddo, Catania and trace your family all the way back to 1820 up to 1910. You can also write to the Uffico di sdtato Civile there for any document you want provided you have a full name and approximate date of birth or the date of the event like a birth,marriage or death. Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 14 Jan 2005, 21:23

ally wrote:I am trying with no luck to find out some info on my paternal grandmothers first marriage. His name was Francesco Straguzzi, also spelt Stragussi, Ellis lists his hometown of Fiumefreddo, but i cannot seem to locate this surname in any databases.

I know he came to Us in early 1900's as my gram married him in 1906-07
I have his father/mother name off death cert. but his mother name is Marchione Travis, this somehow does not sound italian to me. I guess I am wondering if anyone knows where exactly this surname comes from or what the mothers surname is.
And also, never heard of this town.
Thanks

Hi: exact spelling is STRAGUZZI, and, currently, is present in this sicilian town http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/ita/cogno ... agu&Modo=P
this is for Marchione .. ditto http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/ita/cogno ... one&Modo=P
about TRAVIS.. are TraviA (also in Catania province)... I think that Marchione Travis/A are an branche of Marchione family, in Sicily this is normal... currently are not Marchione Travis/A but, perhaps, in the past was possible... for to clair all double you can write in Fiumefreddo Common... regards, suanj

louangelo

Postby louangelo » 19 Jan 2010, 03:38

I am looking for Information on the Travia Family which is from Cantana, Sicily

Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Postby Marcello_DAleo » 19 Jan 2010, 13:10

Exact spelling is Straguzzi or Stracuzzi
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/

louangelo

Postby louangelo » 18 Feb 2010, 03:41

Hey I know for a fact that part of my family that was from Cantana Sicily, had the last name Travia, and his first census records which were spelled Tranvia I also have his census records from 10 years later and his name there is spelled Travis. Appearanly with a less Italian last name at the time it was easier to get a job. I would be interested in comparing some notes as we may have some sort of relation

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 28 Feb 2010, 01:11

I am currently going through the microfilms for Fiumefreddo di Sicilia (Province of Catania, Sicily). The name Straguzzi has definitely come up in the Births, Deaths and Marriages. It is not a common name for the town. I hope this helps.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”