Advice on getting records from Bolognetta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
steinyj

Advice on getting records from Bolognetta

Postby steinyj » 12 Jul 2012, 00:57

OK, here is my situation. Last year I hired a researcher here in the USA to obtain some records for me from the town of Bolognetta near Palermo. From what I understood, the researcher was going to try to obtain what is called a family certificate. I think I was trying to get 4 of them and paid I believe $80 to the researcher and my understanding was she would be sending that money to the town hall there in Bolognetta. That was back in like Sept/Oct 2011. The researcher never got any family certificates from Bolognetta. I am not concerned about the money, I figure it is gone and it is not a big deal.

So this year I tried a different approach. I hired a different researcher, this time one who lives in Sicily and could actually go to the town of Bolognetta to get the same information. I am assuming that if I there is a cost I will have to pay it again and I don't care about that. The main thing for me is I want the records.

The researcher went to the town hall to get the records. He was told by someone at the town hall that they would do the work for me, however it was close to election time and it would have to be after elections. This was back in May. Well the elections have come and gone and the researcher has made contact with the town hall on a couple of occasions that I know of and has been told they will work on it and get it done for me. It is now almost mid-July and still nothing.

I am looking for some suggestions. I know I cannot really be demanding because most likely it will not get me anywhere. If anything, it might upset the researcher or someone at the town hall and I certainly do not want to turn anyone against me. I am guessing what I am looking for from here is what would be my best course of action to take on this? If the town hall were to say it will be 3 months before it can be done, then fine, I would just have to live with that and wait it out. However if I sit here and do nothing, chances are my researcher and who ever is at the town hall doing this research most likely will forget about it and I may never see it. I don't want to even attempt to burn any bridges with anyone because I know after I get these records, I may need some more down the road and I do not want to risk that either.

I am stuck in my research. I have went through all the microfilms here in the USA for the town of Bolognetta, at least the ones I am looking for information on. I am trying to work forward in time and right now I am up to about the early 1900's on the Bolognetta microfilms and there are no more current ones. I am not trying to go back further in time at this point in time in my research.

Some advice would be appreciated.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Advice on getting records from Bolognetta

Postby adelfio » 12 Jul 2012, 02:16

What info do you have presently of your family in Bolognetta birth records,marriage records,death records?
Do you have Salvatore Guagenti birth act born June 1st 1921 son of Antonio Guagenti and Rosa Bivona?
Do you have Antonio Guagenti 1890 and Rosa Bivona 1892 marriage record? Must be around 1917-1920.

Marty Adelfio
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

steinyj

Postby steinyj » 12 Jul 2012, 07:07

I do not have Salvatore's actual birth act record as he is my Grandfather and I know when and where he was born. His actual birth record is not on the microfilm as the microfilm does not go that current.

And no I do not have Antonio and Rosa's actual marriage record, but they are my Great Grandparents. I would assume that they were married in that timeframe as well, but again the microfilm records do not come that current.

I got all the info I need on my grandparents and great grandparents. My goal was/is to find my great grandparents and their siblings and then work forward in time to the modern day. I know who all of Antonio's brothers and sisters, well the surviving ones anyway. There were 4 surviving siblings of Antonio's. I have all their birth records. 3 of those siblings I have marriage records (Giuseppe, Rosalia, and Francesca). For Giuseppe and his wife, I have all of their 8 kids. Out of those kids, I got one really detailed branch thanks to a third cousin I made contact with on Facebook. A couple of the other kids I have bits and pieces on. And the rest, all I have is their names and nothing else.

2 of Antonio's siblings, (Rosalia and Francesca) I got their birth records and marriage records and for each of them one child. I figure there is a strong possibility of more children, but the microfilms stop.

On Rosa's side, I do not have her birth record but I come to find out she was not born in Bolognetta, but in Sardinia. I am ok with that as I know she is my great Grandmother and when she was born. I do have some brothers and sisters of her listed as being born in Bolognetta, but there is a possibility of more siblings that could have been born in Sardinia. Rosa's siblings that were born in Bolognetta are Stefano, Anna, Salvatore, and Giuseppe. I do have a marriage record for Salvatore Bivona. And that is about all I have.

I have been able to do some connecting the dots from Facebook folks with those last names who have connections to Bolognetta. Like I said, one 3rd cousin did give me his entire branch going back to his grandfather and about to the modern era as I can hope to expect. No real dates or details, but all the names. I had one person on Facebook with the last name Bivona that knows the connections between the Guagenti family and Bivona family so I assume could be related and they told me months ago they would help me out, but they seem more interested in posting multiple daily photos and comments on Facebook and have ignored my further requests for help.

Making connections on Facebook has been sort of hit and miss. One 3rd cousin has been great in helping me out. A couple of other 3rd cousins I have had some nice dialogue with and they have helped out a little bit. I have tried making contact with quite a few others that I have discovered that are related and have got no help at all from.

I am sort of coming at this from two sides. One is obtaining records to fill in the stuff from 75 to 100 years ago. And then hitting it from the Facebook side to find the cousins who are in their 20's, 30's and 40's and hopefully little by little I can fill in the gaps. Right now both ends seem to be at a standstill.

My main focus is also on the Guagenti side right now with the Bivona side being lesser of a priority. I figure there are a lot of Guagenti's to keep me busy for a while before going after the Bivona side.

My hope and plan is that in 2 years I want to find more living relatives and try to make some contact with them and connect with them via Facebook. And then I plan to make a trip to Sicily and hopefully get to meet many of these relatives that I did not know I had. I am also going to start learning some Italian so I can have a little dialogue with them.

adelfio wrote:What info do you have presently of your family in Bolognetta birth records,marriage records,death records?
Do you have Salvatore Guagenti birth act born June 1st 1921 son of Antonio Guagenti and Rosa Bivona?
Do you have Antonio Guagenti 1890 and Rosa Bivona 1892 marriage record? Must be around 1917-1920.

Marty Adelfio

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 12 Jul 2012, 15:06

I would fax the comune di Bolognetta
Fax number # 091 873 78 49
Ufficio di Anagrafe
Comune di Bolognetta
DATE SENT
OGGETTO: Richiesta di registrazione di nascita e di matrimonio / art. 107 del DPR 396/2000
Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo YOUR NAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Bolognetta,Palermo. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
L’individuo seguente è il mio antenato. Quanto segue è tutto ciò che so di questa persona:
Nome e cognome: Salvatore Guagenti
Data di nascita: maggio-giugno 1921
Luogo di nascita: Bolognetta
Nome e cognome del padre: Antonio Guagenti
Nome e cognome della madre: Rosa Bivona
Data di matrimonio dei genitori: dal 1915 fino al 1920
Luogo di matrimonio:Bolognetta
Per favore,vi chiedo di spedirmi una fotocopie delle l’atto di nascita di Salvatore Guagenti e una copia dell’ atto di matrimonio dei genitori.
Nel caso i documenti non esistessero per il periodo indicato, vi sarei grata se mi potessero essere comunicate altre fonti di informazione
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID AND SIGNATURE
I asked for a copy of his birth act wasnt sure if his birth was recorded or he was born on June 1st and his parents marriage act and if they dont have were it can be obtained.
I would date the fax so you have the record of sending the request
Start with this and see what happens

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 12 Jul 2012, 22:48

I find it very unprofessional when research collegues take money and don't do the job. Unless of course its stated up front.
I live in Italy, near Rome, I get records all the time. Some take more pressure than others. It may be that the records you want don't exist. If you like I can call and ask them. If the fax doesn't work I will offer to get you the records on a no fee basis if they do not respond. If I do get the records, my fees apply. I have sent you a PM with the fees. I don't recommend you ask for a State of the Family. Most won't do it. I also recommend you send a copy of some of your photo ID with the request and state your relationahsip. Privacy is big here.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”