Family Search Restrictions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Family Search Restrictions

Post by elmosgirl »

this was received in email(July 14, 2012) after I could not access images previously available on the Family Search site.

This will change searching capabilities.Please read the following to inform yourself about which records have now been restricted.

Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding problems viewing the images in the Italy,Napoli, Civil Registration (State Archives),1809-1865 Collections.

Whenever possible,FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However,ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. While images for the collections which belong to the State Archives, have been viewable by all patrons previously, recently the Record Custodians put a restriction on these collections and the images for these collection are only viewable to Contributing Organizations, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and those accessing FamilySearch in Family History Centers. The collections affected are as follows:
• Italy,Catanzaro,Civil Registration (State Archive),1809-1865
• Italy,Cuneo,Civil Registration (State Archive),1795-1915
• Italy,L’Aquila,Civil Registration (State Archive),1809-1865
• Italy,Mantova,Civil Registration (State Archive),1496-1900
• Italy,Messina,Civil Registration (State Archive),1820-1865
• Italy,Napoli,Civil Registration (State Archive),1809-1865
• Italy,Pescara,Civil Registration (State Archive),1866-1942
• Italy,Toscana,Civil Registration (State Archive),1745-1900
• Italy,Treviso,Civil Registration (State Archive),1806-1815

We hope this answer will explain what has happened to the Italy collections,and wish you well in your search for ancestors.

Sincerely,
FamilySearch
Patron and Partner Services
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Family Search Restrictions

Post by oilman19 »

A friend has brought the following to my attention. You can still view 5 of the state archives and search the records from your home computer. The only thing you can no longer do is download or save a copy of a record.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/

1. click on the box at the lower left corner which reads-"Sfoglia i registri"

2. on the next screen, go to the drop down box next to the words “instituto di conservazione”

3. you can now select one of the five state archives you mention in your post

4. once you have selected the archive you wish to view, click on the word "cerca"

5. at the bottom of the next screen you will see the word apri (which means open) to the left of the Istituto di Conservazione: Archivio di Stato …

6. click on that word and you will get to the screen where you can now choose which records and towns to view which exist within that particular archive
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

Thanks for pointing out this alternative gateway to Archival records. The site is not as complete in covering the full range of years as the FamilySearch site was, but......

if the years you're looking for are included in the available records scanned into the site, it's a terrific resource. I especially like the built-in tool that enlarges the text while moving your cursor over the records! How user-friendly that is.

I've bookmarked the site; hopefully, the records scanned will only increase in number! It's definitely a resource to watch! Thanks!
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

Just wanted to share that all records (except for regular marriage records) for the years 1809-1865 are posted. They are separated into three separate catergories.

1809-1815 are under "stato civile napoleonico" but be aware that the 1815 records are actuallly 1816. This goes for birth and death records.

1816-1860 are under "stato civile dell resturazione" and again 1816 is really 1815.

Don't know why the marriage records aren't posted, wonder if there is someone we can contact to find out??
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

Just wanted to make a correction "regular" marriage records are listed for the years 1809-1815 and 1861-1865 but not for 1816-1865.

There are "matrimoni processetti" records for the years 1816-1865 which I found extremely informative. Those are not indexed and you would have to go through each individual record but so worth it because I found a few things that pertained to my ancestors.
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily