Romano Family History Piazza Armerina / Aidone Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Romano1970
Elite
Elite

Romano Family History Piazza Armerina / Aidone Sicily

Postby Romano1970 » 20 Jul 2012, 19:45

I wanted to post information about my family from Piazza Armerina with the hopes of another person on the site having information about them or possibily being related in some way. This is my grandfathers side. My Grand mothers side was from Mussomeli Sicily with the last name of Nigrelli.

Great Grand Parents:
ROMANO Salvatore Filippo Born Aidone Sicily
RISTAGNO Maria Filippa Born Piazza Armerina May 16 1863 To Parents RISTAGNO Giuseppe and what looks like per the birth record SANTA Ippolito
My great Grand Mother died in 1937 in Piazza Armerina.

Children:
ROMANO Filippa Born; February 4 1885 / Died 1886
Romano Filippa Born March 5 1887 / Died: 1965 No mention of husband or children
ROMANO Lorenzo (My grand father) Born: February 2 1889 / Died in Passaic NJ March 1955
ROMANO Giuseppa Born: March 13 1896 / Died: March 31 1967 Was married to ANZALDI Carmelo October 15 1921.
ROMANO Giuseppa Born: April 9 1902 / Died January 15 1977 in Piazza Armerina. Was married to LIUZZO Giuseppe April 22 1933 in Piazza Armerina.

I have been told regarding the first born, if that child were to die that the next child if the same gender would be named the same, as we can see above. However The fourth and fifth children were both girls and named the same. Niether died as a child and lived a full life and were both married. Could this be explained as to why they were given the same names.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Genevera.com

Re: Romano Family History Piazza Armerina / Aidone Sicily

Postby Genevera.com » 23 Jul 2012, 00:58

I've seen this particular naming convention a lot in my Italian research--entire families composed of Marias and Giovannis who are distinguished either by their middle names (Maria Concetta, Maria Teresa, Maria Carmela) or by their nicknames (Nino or Gino for Giovanni). Just be sure to record every variation of their names as they appear in the different church and government records, and you will notice the patterns and learn to distinguish the different children. Good luck! :D
Jenny Tonks, MA
Accredited Genealogist
www.Genevera.com

Romano1970
Elite
Elite

Re: Romano Family History Piazza Armerina / Aidone Sicily

Postby Romano1970 » 24 Jul 2012, 03:24

Thank you Jenny. I will do that. I have already noticed some paterns.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”