Trying to track down where my Italian TODARO line came from

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TNReid

Trying to track down where my Italian TODARO line came from

Postby TNReid » 31 Jul 2012, 00:33

My great-great-grandfather was Victorio/Victor Todaro, born about 1852-1855, supposedly from Genoa, Italy. He came to the U.S. around 1880 and married Antonina Magnoia (Josephine Antoinette Mangonis) in 1881 in New Orleans Parish, Louisiana, USA. Victor's parents as noted on the marriage license were Andres or Andrew Todaro and his wife Anna. I do not know if Andres/Andrew and Anna were in the U.S. at the time of the marriage, but there was a Victor Todaro and an Antonino Todaro living in New Orleans in 1893. I wonder if this Antonino was Victor's father Andres/Andrew (the name is difficult to read on the marriage license).

If anyone can help shed some light on this family, I would appreciate it.

tnreid@charter.net

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Trying to track down where my Italian TODARO line came f

Postby PippoM » 31 Jul 2012, 08:33

From the marriage certificate on familySearch, father's name seems clearly to be Andrea.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 02 Aug 2012, 14:05

If this is your Vittorio Todaro's manifest from 1880, I believe he was from Poggioreale in Sicily. Line 16.

http://imageshack.us/a/img140/3636/todaro1880.jpg

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 03 Aug 2012, 17:55

Biff83 wrote:If this is your Vittorio Todaro's manifest from 1880, I believe he was from Poggioreale in Sicily. Line 16.

http://imageshack.us/a/img140/3636/todaro1880.jpg

Biff

Hey Biff :-)

Looking at the manifest, another possibility is the frazione of POGGIOVALLE in Lazio Region... :-)
Poggiovalle, comune of Borgorose - province: Rieti - region: Lazio

T.

TNReid

Postby TNReid » 03 Aug 2012, 19:26

Thank you all. Yes, I agree that the name on the marriage record is Andrea Todaro. I have since discovered that it is not an uncommon male name and actually means "male".

I still cannot be sure that the 1880 ship's manifest mentioned is my Victor, but it is worth considering. Census records indicate that Victor did come to the U.S. in 1880, but there are other 1880 records for other Victor/Victorio/Vittorios too, so I am still trying to sort them all out.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”