request to Alcamo, Trapani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stvivona

request to Alcamo, Trapani

Post by stvivona »

Hello,

I just received a response from the Stato Civile in Alcamo, Trapani re: a request for my great grandfather's birth certificate. In the time since I mailed the request I found his exact birth year (prior was an estimate). They couldn't find it using the approx year I gave. Can I assume they only searched the one year I gave them and not the surrounding years? I found the right birth years for him and my great grandmother and I'd like to resend but I don't want to be a nuisance. I realize they are doing me a favor.

Thanks!
Steve
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: request to Alcamo, Trapani

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website
What year was he born?
You know there are birth records of Alcamo (Trapani), 1821-1915 they you can get at Family History Library on microfilm for viewing and copying..

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

stvivona wrote:Hello,

I just received a response from the Stato Civile in Alcamo, Trapani re: a request for my great grandfather's birth certificate. In the time since I mailed the request I found his exact birth year (prior was an estimate). They couldn't find it using the approx year I gave. Can I assume they only searched the one year I gave them and not the surrounding years? I found the right birth years for him and my great grandmother and I'd like to resend but I don't want to be a nuisance. I realize they are doing me a favor.

Thanks!
Steve

Hi Steve!

How far off was your approximation? Usually they will search (usually using the indexes) for about a 5 year period...

You could try following up with an email to the city hall explaining your situation and that you have the EXACT birthdates... Can't hurt!
Here is the town site with the City Hall email...

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/081/001/

T.
stvivona

Post by stvivona »

Thanks for the replies! He was born in 1862, I believe May or June. Hard to read the baptismal records. I ordered baptismal records from Trapani through Family History and that's how I found his baptismal date (so I don't have his exact birth date). My new problem is that I have the names of all four great grandparents on that side but the farther back I go I found a few duplicate names in the baptismal record so I can't be sure which person is actually an ancestor.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. I'm hearing a lot about Allegatis, but not sure if they exist for Trapani.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Allegati are attachments, usually found in the marriage records.

Did they marry in Italy? Do you know approximately when?
Maybe finding the marriage record/allegati :D
He was born in 1862, I believe May or June. Hard to read the baptismal records. I ordered baptismal records from Trapani through Family History and that's how I found his baptismal date (so I don't have his exact birth date).
Baptisms usually occurred withn 3-5 days...

You should have been able to find the birth record in the films from the LDS Family History Center. They have civil registrations from 1821-1925
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F510370

Specifically film listed below...
Nati 1861-giugno 1863 Family History Library INTL Film 1339569
(Births 1861 to June 1863)

T.
stvivona

Post by stvivona »

Again, thank you! I can't be sure exactly when they married but given their ages and when they had their first child it could be anywhere from 1884-1889. They were married in Alcamo. All the members of my family dating back to the late 1700s were baptized in Alcamo. Since I now have birth years for several ancestors I can at least narrow down my future searches!
AGandolfo

Post by AGandolfo »

My mother was born in Alcamo, 1943. The Town hall where birth records were kept were destroyed during WWII. In the 1990's my mother had to get a new birth certificate issued after sending in her proof of life, etc. I'm going to assume the same with records you are trying to find. You may want to contact the Catholic Church in Alcamo for those records.