Looking for my GF and GM's families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for my GF and GM's families

Postby JRosano2012 » 05 Aug 2012, 19:05

I have been working on my family tree for quite some time and have been having some trouble. I would like to try to find more information on both sides of the family (my mom's parents).

My GF was born here in Massachusetts in 1928 (Anthony John Rosano). I have plenty of info on him, but its his parents I am looking for. My GGF, John Rosano was born (possibly) on January 17, 1896 in Palermiti, Catanzaro, Calbria, Italy. My GGM, Maria Rosano, was born on October 6, 1900 in Palermiti, Catanzaro, Calbria, Italy. They were 1st cousins. (Not that I like to admit it, but they were. I guess it was done back in those days?).

From what I gather, my GGF came to the USA before he married my GGM. He came with his father, brothers, and 1 sister. I think one of the brothers' names was Tony and I think his father's name was Anthony. They all settled in Cohasset, MA. My GGF went back to Italy to serve in the Italian Army in WW1. After the war, he married my GGM in 1918 and came to the US immediately after the wedding.

My GGM had one brother who died at the age of 17 from TB in Italy. The only other information I have is what is on her death certificate. Her father's name was Pasquale Rosano (born in Italy) and her mother's name was Katerina Galleli (born in Italy).

From what I gather, Katerina came to the US and lived the rest of her life here. I also have a copy of her death certificate. It says she died on April 17, 1956 at the age of 75. So I assume she was born about 1881. Her father's name is listed as Joseph Galleli (born in Italy) and her mother's name is listed as Rose Trulli (born in Italy).
That is all the information I have on his family.

My GM, Olimpia Cantone, was from Napoli, Italy. I am not sure of her exact birthday. Her death certificate says she was born December 13, 1927 but her passport says 1926. In her medical records, there are a few variations on when she was born. She married my GF in Italy on February 27, 1954.

Her dad later moved to the US where he lived the rest of his life. His name was Amedeo Cantone. He died on May 9, 1927 at the age of 71. His gravestone says he was born 1902. His parents' names are not listed.

My GM's mother's name was Concetta Maio and that is the only information I have on her.

My GM had 2 brothers, Antonio (born March 31, 1933) and Eugenio. From what I gather, they later moved to Holland and could very well be deceased. From old letters my GM saved, she may have had a sister, Maria Antonietta who was in the Istituto Filomena in Lecce. And from talking with distant relatives of my GM, she was a sibling of about 8 or 9 and most of them died from malnutrition.

I would really like to learn more about my GM's family. We have no idea how many siblings she had, what happened to her mother, who this Maria girl was.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

kscanza
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for my GF and GM's families

Postby kscanza » 06 Aug 2012, 02:29

Have you tried to search for her on https://familysearch.org/ I was able to find a lot of family information on this sight. Hope that helps a little.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 11 Aug 2012, 14:21

If this 1911 arrival manifest is correct for your GGrandfather then you can see that he was travelling with his sister Rosa age 24 and Rosa's daughter Maria Emmanuele (Emmanuele is a lastname), Giovanni (age 16) and his sister Rosa stated that their nearest relative in Italy was their mother Serafina Micrillò (Possible the correct spell in italian is Macrillò) in Palermiti. Giovanni stated that he was going to meet his brother Antonio in Boston while his sister Rosa was joining her husband Tommaso Emmanuele at the same address in Boston, 334 North street:

Page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003
Page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 11 Aug 2012, 14:42

Just for references the 1920 arrival manifest for Giovanni Rosano and his wie Maria (nearest relative in Italy Giovanni's father Antonio in Palermiti)

From Ancestry.com:

Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943

Name: Giovanni Rosapo
Arrival Date: 13 May 1920
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cretic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Antonio
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Palerniti, Italy

image here:

page 1:
http://postimage.org/image/cuh7ght5x/

page 2:
http://postimage.org/image/e4esrylgn/

Laura

JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JRosano2012 » 21 Aug 2012, 21:59

Laura,

Thank you so much!!! I have checked with a family member, my GF's sister, who is still alive. She said that it is definitely a match! I can't thank you enough for finding me this information. It is such a huge help!

Johnny

Return to “Italian Genealogy”