Morabito / D'Andrea

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
parapluie

Morabito / D'Andrea

Postby parapluie » 07 Aug 2012, 05:58

Hello! I'm tracing back my great-grandmother, Concetta (Concettina) Morabito married to Felice/Felix Morabito. According to a ship's log from her voyage from Messina to NY in 1920 her father's name was Orazio. She also gives her last name as D'Andrea which could be a maiden name or a previous married name. A US census record lists her birthplace as Villagio Santa, Italy.

Does anyone know of a Orazio D'Andrea, Concetta or Felice Morabito from their own research, or know where I could look for marriage or birth records for Concetta and Felice? They were married around 1907.

If anyone is also looking for records of this family, Concetta and Felice settled in Buffalo, NY. They had Letterio (Leo), Nunzia (Nancy) and Marie while in Italy, and Emily and Patricia after coming to the US.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Morabito / D'Andrea

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2012, 21:09

parapluie wrote:Hello! I'm tracing back my great-grandmother, Concetta (Concettina) Morabito married to Felice/Felix Morabito. According to a ship's log from her voyage from Messina to NY in 1920 her father's name was Orazio. She also gives her last name as D'Andrea which could be a maiden name or a previous married name. A US census record lists her birthplace as Villagio Santa, Italy.

Does anyone know of a Orazio D'Andrea, Concetta or Felice Morabito from their own research, or know where I could look for marriage or birth records for Concetta and Felice? They were married around 1907.

If anyone is also looking for records of this family, Concetta and Felice settled in Buffalo, NY. They had Letterio (Leo), Nunzia (Nancy) and Marie while in Italy, and Emily and Patricia after coming to the US.

Hello and welcome! :-)

Italian women maintained their maiden names, so yes, this would be Concetta's maiden name...

I see from the 1910 Census of the family in Buffalo that Leo, Nancy and Marie were born in Italy; and that they immigrated in 1920 (the arrival you referenced)
I looked at this manifest but only see Messina as last residence/place of birth :-(

Felice arrived in 1910... so you have his manifest? Maybe another clue?

Which census record identifies a place of birth? Can you post it?

If you don't have it... the 1910 census at (free site) familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1810731

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2012, 21:43

Found a January 1926 trip for Felice and his daughter Nunziata (Nancy)

They were returning from a visit with Felice's father Letterio (follows the Italian naming pattern - first son named Letterio :-) ) - Felice's father lived in CUMIA, Messina. This is probably Cumia Superiore, a frazione(village) of the Comune of Messina in Sicily.

This would be a start to look for Italian records. Felice was most likely born in Cumia Superiore, Messina. His marriage to Concettina would be recorded in his comune with the banns (Pubblicazione), and may even be noted on his birth record. This would tell you where the marriage took place. Since marriages usually took place in the town of the bride, you will then discover Concettina D'Andrea Morabito's place of birth...

Manifest of January 26, 1926
Arriving NY on the Giuseppe Verdi

Page 1 (click once to enlarge and again to magnify)

page 2

T.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 08 Aug 2012, 21:55

Hey T!
Great find for Felice's father's name and his comune :D
Valarie

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2012, 22:39

Hi Valarie :-D!

Hope it helps...
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find Felice's birth record. Messina records on familysearch have mostly allegati :-(

CORRECTION to earlier post.
The image I linked for the 1910 Census is actually the 1930 Census :oops:

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”