Il Ufficio dello Stato Civile - Napoli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Il Ufficio dello Stato Civile - Napoli

Postby sforza » 14 Aug 2012, 00:24

I'm seeking info on doing research there. I will be in Naples and want to take the opportunity to finally access records I haven't been able to lay my hands on. (I've been writing the Napoli stato civile for two years and when they finally responded, it was with the wrong documents.) So: Do they let the public request and/or view records in person? If so, would I need to make an appointment? Unfortunately, the provincial archives is not an option for the civil records I seek; those holdings only go to c. 1860 - I'm looking for records of the 1880s and 1890s. Thanks.

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Il Ufficio dello Stato Civile - Napoli

Postby PippoM » 25 Aug 2012, 14:49

From another post, I found this:

Servizio Stato civile - Ufficio Corrispondenza Valori
II traversa Via Epomeo, Parco Quadrifoglio,
80126 Soccavo, Napoli.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 26 Aug 2012, 01:37

you shouldn't need an appointment. Go there about 10am (after the first rush) with copies of previous correspondence and ask to see the 'direttore'. Be polite but insistent. Don't tell them how long you will be in Naples. Say you must do this today.
take an addressed envelope with you but do not produce it unless it is absolutely necessary and they will not do the certificates immediately.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

BonnieMelielo

Postby BonnieMelielo » 26 Aug 2012, 23:05

I was given the address in the post above by a gentleman at the Stato Civile in Napoli located by a Piazza with a statue of Dante in it. I wrote to them twice regarding the birth certificate of my grandmother but both times received a reply that it could not be found. (I always enclose a SASE). I am not sure if they really can't find it or if it is another of those "Italian situations". Certainly it will be more helpful if you are there in person. I am currently working on finding information through a different source. Good luck and please post here on your experience.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 28 Aug 2012, 02:46

Hello Anne!
As always, thanks for the advice. I will certainly be firm (and polite). And I've been learning Italian, so am eager to use it in a bureaucratic situation. :lol:

Bonnie - will definitely post but it will not be for awhile, as I will not be there until next summer.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”