Salabreco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Salabreco

Post by Help »

Is there an Italian last name of Salabreco? I'm searching for my great grandfather Fredo Salabreco, a lawyer from Salandra, Matera, Bascilicata, Italy around 1885.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Salabreco

Post by PippoM »

Surname Salabreco does not seem to exist in Italy...we'd need some more info to help you...did your ancestor go to the USA? And if he did, when? Do you have a document stating his surname?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Fredo Salabreco was listed as the deceased father of my grandmother Angela "Angelina" Calabrese on a hospital document of hers dated 1915, & that he was a lawyer from Salandra, Italy. I don't believe he ever came to the USA or Canada. I can see where Salabreco could be mistaken for Calabrese, however her marriage document states "father unknown". Angelina (1885-1965) born in Salandra, Italy & died in Toronto, Canada. Her mother's maiden name was Maria Calabrese (1867-1945) born in Salandra,Italy & died in Toronto, Canada. I have been unable to obtain either Angelina's birth record (which should tell me who her father was) or her mother Maria Calabrese's birth record. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Help wrote:Fredo Salabreco was listed as the deceased father of my grandmother Angela "Angelina" Calabrese on a hospital document of hers dated 1915, & that he was a lawyer from Salandra, Italy. I don't believe he ever came to the USA or Canada. I can see where Salabreco could be mistaken for Calabrese, however her marriage document states "father unknown". Angelina (1885-1965) born in Salandra, Italy & died in Toronto, Canada. Her mother's maiden name was Maria Calabrese (1867-1945) born in Salandra,Italy & died in Toronto, Canada. I have been unable to obtain either Angelina's birth record (which should tell me who her father was) or her mother Maria Calabrese's birth record. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Have you written directly to the Comune of Salandra?

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Regina Margherita
75017 Salandra (MT)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

ANOTHER option would be to visit your local LDS Family History Center to rent and view the microfilmed civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) held by the Church of LDS. They have available Salandra records from 1809-1929...
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F490688

To find your nearest center...
https://familysearch.org/locations

T.
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

I have tried viewing the microfilm from Salandra 1863-1898 & it was unlegible, much water damage & the dates were out of order.

I will try writing to the above address, thanks.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Hi, Sandra.

I want to follow up on my previous messages and address your question about your great grandfather’s surname—Fredo Salabreco—as written on your grandmother Angela (Angelina) Maria Calabrese’s hospital document in Toronto. You also said that Angelina’s mother’s name was Maria Calabrese. I’m going to send my suggestions in two parts to make them easier to read. This is Part 1.

As Pippo mentioned, the surname Salabreco is not currently found in Italy. I searched both the Pagine Bianche and the surname list and map on ItalyGens for Salabreco and possible variants and came up with nothing.

I also searched Ancestry and FamilySearch for this surname, and didn’t find it there either. On Ancestry, I ran a wildcard search and found some similar names--Sbrecco on a passenger list, Sabrero, Sabeiro, etc. I found a few records for the surname Salabrici on both websites. Since these results are based on index entries and transcription errors are common, you’d have to look closely at the images to determine if these readings are correct. But I suspect that your ggrandfather Fredo’s surname is Calabrese, like his daughter’s, and you’re dealing with a transcription error. Here’s why.

You gave both Angelina’s and Maria’s last names as Calabrese. Unless Maria and Fredo were otherwise related (e.g., cousins), it’s likely that Calabrese is Maria’s married name after immigration and not her birth name. If so, even if you found a 1867 birth record for a Maria Calabrese, it wouldn’t be for the right person. You need to be sure of Maria’s surname at birth (allowing for slight variations in spelling) before you search for her birth record. You also need to know that the record you find is for the right Maria. There could even be more than one Maria with your Maria's surname born in the same place in the same year.

This is why you should look for Angela Maria’s birth record first and put off looking for Maria’s. In most cases, Angela’s record will include both parents’ names, including her mother’s original surname. Don’t be surprised if Maria is only part of her mother’s given name, in which case “Maria” may not appear at all on Angela’s birth record. [E.g., my husband’s great aunt Maria Gaetana (from her birth record) appears as Gaetana on her U.S. marriage record and son’s birth record.] Also, Fredo is probably short for Federico, Affredo, or Goffredo, and one of these could even be his middle name instead of his first name. (E.g., my husband’s 3rd ggrandfather is listed as Vincenzo in most records, but he’s Francesco Vincenzo in his birth and marriage records.) Angelina’s birth record will also give approximate ages for her parents and hopefully Fredo’s father’s given name as well.

Part 2 to follow.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Hi, Sandra. This is Part 2 of my reply.

Next, instead of searching for Maria’s birth record, I recommend looking first for Fredo’s and Maria’s marriage record. For this, you need to assume a location (e.g., Salandra, because Angela was born there) and estimated marriage year. If Maria was born around 1867, she may have been married as young as 13 or 14. To estimate the marriage year, consider also what you know or can find out about Angelina’s siblings, their birth order, and approximate birth years. I found a couple of passenger list entries on Ancestry that may be for your Angela Maria Calabrese (or not) and one, from 1900, lists the names of two older brothers, Nicola and Domenico. (I didn’t study these closely, so they may not be for the right person. The second list was for 1906 and lists Angela with a husband, Giuseppe Scandiffio, and two children, and it gives a previous arrival date as 1900. The 1906 list has Nicola’s age indexed as 20, but it looks more like 26, and Domenico, who is already in the U.S., might be older.) You can also look for older siblings by searching the Matera province films for birth records working backwards from Angelina’s birth and looking for the same parents.

(BTW, if Angelina’s husband was Giuseppe Scandiffio, as the Ancestry trees indicate, they were married in Italy, and you have an idea where they were married and when, you should also find Maria’s birth surname in their marriage record. If they were married in the U.S. or Canada, their marriage certificate might also give Maria’s surname at birth.)

Then, if you’re having trouble reading the processetti film, the easiest approach for you, but one that will cost more in money and maybe in time, would be to order the Matera province film with Salandra marriage records for the estimated marriage year. The downside is that if you don’t find the record in that year, you have to order more films to keep searching. Also, you’ll find only the atto di matrimonio and not all the extras that are in the processetti.

The alternative is to go through the film you have (#1742921) with the processetti for 1870-98, since it includes multiple years and probably includes records for the year you need. Although you say the film is too hard to read because of water damage, unless it’s completely blackened and disintegrating, you should be able to read it with some effort. (I've reviewed more than 50 films so far researching eight towns and found only one that had a section that was truly impossible to read. And this was only one year and one town--Stigliano--out of the whole film.) Taking photographs of the records you think might be the right ones helps, because you can zoom in on the images and adjust the brightness and contrast. I recommend using the microfilm viewers with vertical screens for photography. Turn off your flash and take a few shots of each page to be sure you get at least one good one. If you need help reading a record, you can post it to this group or send me a private message.

Processetti are usually grouped together on a film by year, but different years of processetti may be interspersed with other kinds of records on a film, and there is no index, so you have to look at a lot of pages to find what you're looking for. Each record contains many pages, and sometimes there is a title page with the names of the groom and bride and a record number. The document that comes first after the title page, if there is one, is usually the atto di matrimonio or the atto della solenne promesso di celebrare di matrimonio. In it, you will find the groom’s and bride’s names, (approximate) ages, birth places, occupations, residences, and parents’ names, as well as lists of witnesses and attachments. The groom’s and bride’s birth records will follow and then extracts of death records for any parents or grandparents who are already deceased and marriage banns. The atto will also note if a parent or grandparent is deceased (fu), and occasionally, it might give a date and place of death of a parent or grandparent.

So on the processetti film, if you can find Maria and Fredo’s marriage record, you should find their birth records or at least extracts in it, and you’ll know it’s them because you can evaluate the evidence against multiple pieces of information you have—names, approximate birth years, probable birth locations. This is good prevention against adopting a false lineage, a problem of many family trees posted to Ancestry. If you know the names and birth order of their children, you will most likely find, too, that their first- and second-born sons and daughters follow Italian naming traditions and are named after their grandparents--another tool for determining that you have the correct record.

These documents will also give you additional information with which to search for Maria’s and Fredo's birth records on the provincial films and work your way further back to preceding generations.

Let us know what inroads you make and if we can be of further help. Good luck!

Lesley