Basilicata catasti and censuses--Naples Archives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Basilicata catasti and censuses--Naples Archives

Postby lcafarel » 02 Sep 2012, 20:43

A research colleague is headed to Italy in the next day or two and will be stopping at the Naples Archives. He agreed to try to get record images from some catasti and censuses for me while there. I'm looking specifically for selected 1742-1865 catasti/census records from Ferrandina, Laurenzana, Stigliano, and Lauria. The search engine at http://patrimonio.archiviodistatonapoli.it/xdams-asna/public/application/jsp/search.jsp?db=asnaAnagrafe&titolo=anagrafe# gives only these results for these four towns: Ferrandina 1755, Stigliano 1754, Lauria Superiore 1743, Lauria Inferiore 1743. Laurenzana gives no results. I searched also for Accettura, another town of interest, and got no results.

Does anyone know if the Naples Archives have additional records for these towns that do not show up in these online searches--because, for example, they are not yet indexed? Or are the catasti and censuses in the provincial archives rather than in Naples? Or does this automatically mean they are lost or missing?

Also, are the Laurias listed above the same as Lauria, Potenza?

Thanks.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Basilicata catasti and censuses--Naples Archives

Postby Italysearcher » 02 Sep 2012, 21:02

I can't help with your question but I hope your friend knows that the Naples archives can be quite strict about not providing more than 4-5 items per day per person. This is OK if you are doing detailed research but can be very frustrating if you are doing a family tree that moves quickly. If your friend can take a friend then the number is doubled even if the friend isn't actually doing the research.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby lcafarel » 02 Sep 2012, 21:44

Thanks, Ann. I'll pass this along.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JRosano2012 » 02 Sep 2012, 21:56

My family comes from Naples as well. I believe they were from Barra. Have you come across any search engines that had this area?
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lcafarel » 02 Sep 2012, 23:00

My husband's family lines are not from Naples, but Basilicata, and certain records from that region of southern Italy are in the Naples Archives.

I think Barra is a neighborhood within Naples. If so, the vital records from Barra would be part of the records from Naples. Perhaps another researcher will know which group of Family History Library microfilms would include this area.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sabino » 03 Sep 2012, 01:32

lcafarel,

i catasti murattiani di Ferrandina, Stigliano e Lauria non si trovano all'Archivio di Stato di Napoli.
Hanno soltanto i catasti onciari di Ferrandina 1755 Stigliano 1754 e Lauria 1743 come te stessa l'hai visto.

L'Archivio di Stato di Matera hanno i catasti murattiani di Ferrandina e Stigliano (catasto provvisorio 1819- 1929)

http://www.maas.ccr.it/PDF/Matera.pdf

Archivio di Stato di Matera
Via Tommaso Stigliani, 25
75100 MATERA (MT)

Tel: 0835 331442 - 0835 332832
Fax: 0835 332832
e-mail: as-mt@beniculturali.it

Per Lauria fa una domanda all'Archivio di Stato di Potenza per sapere se loro hanno il catasto provvisorio di questo Comune.

Archivio di Stato di Potenza
Via Nazario Sauro, 1
85100 POTENZA (PZ)

Tel: 0971 56144
Fax: 0971 56223
e-mail: as-pz@beniculturali.it

JRosano2012,

Per Barra l'Archivio di Stato di Napoli hanno i catasti provvisori 1814 - 1919.

Se ricerchi un atto di stato civile devi rivolgersi al Comune di Napoli (Barra anticamente Comune è oggi un quartiere di Napoli e fa parte della Municipalità 6).
Sabino
Elite
Elite

Postby lcafarel » 03 Sep 2012, 03:50

Grazie, Sabino!
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 03 Sep 2012, 04:20

A few questions about the provincial (e.g., Matera) archives:

What kinds of records are included in the Archivi Notarili?

What is the difference between the catasti onciari, catasti murattiani, and catasti provisorio? I have copies of records from the 1807 and 1830 catasti onciari and 1857 and 1865 censuses from Craco as examples. The latter list household members. In the case of Craco, the town bestowed copies of images to the Craco Society, so I was able to obtain copies of family records from the Society.

Is it possible to order copies of records from these archives (e.g., from catasti), and how does one do it? Is there a standard fee? Does anyone have experience doing this? Or does someone have to go there to obtain copies?

Does anyone know if the catasti are among the records to be digitized over the next few years by agreement between Italy and the LDS church?

Thanks.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy