Requesting copies of recotds

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Requesting copies of recotds

Postby leej » 03 Sep 2012, 18:31

August 2011 I wrote to Minturno and Formia requesting photo copies of birth and marriage records. I did not receive a reply and a second request was sent, still no reply. Letters were sent in Italian and included a self address envelope., I asked that they reply even if the information was not available or they had no record. I do not know if the letters were lost in the mail and never received or "lost". How do I encourage these towns to reply to my subsequent requests without offending them????

Individuals I am requesting information on are;

Christina Di Russo born about 1870 in Minturno or Formia married about 1890 to Pasquale Limatola (born about 1869 in Naples). Christina's parents were Tommasso Di Russo born about 1848 in Formia and Bridget Palambacco born about 1848 in Minturno. Tomasso and Bridget married about 1868. Son of Pasquale and Christina is Ferdinando Limatola born 1892 in Naples.

I know Naples is divided into many districts. Is there a central repository for all the records or do you have to write to each district individually??? What is the address???

I do not know if the letters were never received or "lost". How do I encourage these towns to reply to my subsequent requests without offending them????

Thanks for the help Lee
leej

Re: Requesting copies of recotds

Postby erudita74 » 03 Sep 2012, 20:12

I think the problem is that a lot of these towns are being bombarded with requests for record copies, especially with so many people trying to obtain dual citizenship. If you just need the info, and not a physical copy of the record, you might try emailing the towns. I don't always get responses, but sometimes I do. Just do not request too information at once. From what I've read, a town is supposed to reply within 30 days, but that doesn't necessarily happen. Also the primary function of the people who work in these town offices is not to do genealogy look-ups or make record copies. In some of the towns, the books with the records are so old that they are falling apart. I have relatives who couldn't even get photocopies of records when they visited some of the towns in person.

Here are email addresses for your two towns, in case you want to try that.

statocivile@comune.minturno.lt.it

anag1@comune.formia.It.it

(I found the email address for Formia doing a google search, and in a pdf file that opened under the name of Presentazione - Comune di Formia). I did not see an email address for the anagrafe office or stato civile on the town's website. However, below is a link to the town's official website, and there are three email addresses there under the word contatti. If the one I gave you above gets returned, I would try one of the others.

http://www.comune.formia.lt.it/comune_formia/

The other thing is-have you considered retrieving the record copies from microfilm? You can get the earlier records for these towns this way.

Registri dello stato civile di Minturno (Latina), 1811-1865

Registri dello stato civile di Formia (Latina), 1809-1865
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 03 Sep 2012, 21:12

You can also fax them for extracts of the records you are looking for
you will know they recieved your request.
Comune di Minturno
Fax 0771-6608249

Comune di Formia
Fax 0771 771680

Include this phrase for extract request
Vi chiedo di spedirmi l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di questa persona
Please send me a complete extract of the birth record this person

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby leej » 03 Sep 2012, 21:37

Thank you for your prompt replies. i will follow your suggestions and hope for the best. Where do I get copies of the micro films????
Lee
leej

Postby erudita74 » 03 Sep 2012, 21:59

The microfilms need to be rented through a local family history run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. Anyone can use their libraries. You don't have to be a Mormon or member of their church. To find the closest center to where you live, you can use the following link

https://familysearch.org/locations

The local centers are staffed by volunteers, so the days and times they are open vary from location to location. Also microfilm rental in the U.S. is now up to $7.50 for a roll of film. It has to be sent to your local center from the main Mormon library in Salt Lake City. The roll of film then remains at your local center for about a month, unless you choose to renew it for an additional fee. If you renew it twice, it then becomes a permanent roll of film at your center. Should you relocate as I did, however, you can't have your microfilms transferred to another location.

You should keep checking www.familysearch.org, and the section on Continental Europe, as they are slowly putting the Italian records online. Maybe you will get lucky and the films for your town will appear there. Doing microfilmed research of the Italian records, however, is not easy, even if you can read the language. Many of the older records are in an old script, which you must first learn to decipher. It is time consuming and expensive research but, if you can do it, you will ultimately find it rewarding, as I have.
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby leej » 05 Sep 2012, 06:28

What is the NAPLES address to get copies of the records. I do not know the section of Naples he was born in, only that he was born in Naples. Lee
leej

Postby adelfio » 05 Sep 2012, 15:04

leej wrote:What is the NAPLES address to get copies of the records. I do not know the section of Naples he was born in, only that he was born in Naples. Lee

It would be very hard to get records not knowing what section or town he was born in Napoli I would try the marriage record it will would likely be in the wifes hometown
But you could give a try for his military record but you need a birth date for that years class of leva
email address as-na@beniculturali.it

Il fondo denominato UFFICIO PROVINCIALE DI LEVA DI NAPOLI conserva le liste di leva dei giovani chiamati alla visita di leva delle classi (nati) tra il 1842 e il 1941. Per ogni iscritto vengono annotati maternità, paternità, il domicilio, la professione, i dati somatici e l'esito della visita (abile, rimandato, riformato). Nei fondi DISTRETTO MILITARE DI NAPOLI (classi 1867-1896); DISTRETTO MILITARE DI AVERSA (classi 1854-1896); DISTRETTO MILITARE DI NOLA (classi 1860-1896) si trovano invece i ruoli matricolari che registrano il servizio militare prestato, il corpo di assegnazione, le campagne di guerra fino al congedo (soldati semplici e sottufficiali). I fondi sono soggetti a implementazione periodica.

The fund called PROVINCIAL OFFICE OF LEVER OF NAPLES maintains lists of leverage of young men called to visit lever classes (births) between 1842 and 1941. For each member shall be recorded maternity, paternity, domicile, profession, somatic data and the outcome of the visit (skilled, postponed, Reformed). In funds MILITARY DISTRICT OF NAPLES (classes 1867-1896) MILITARY DISTRICT AVERSA (classes 1854-1896) MILITARY DISTRICT NOLA (classes 1860-1896) are instead roles serial numbers that record the military service, the body of assignment, the campaigns of the war up to leave (privates and non-commissioned officers). The funds are subject to periodic implementation

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby karenp » 05 Sep 2012, 20:13

I am looking for records from Corato, Bari, Italy. I have already gone through family history center records. They are hard to read, the microfilm is small. I have many copies I got but some are blurry or dark.
I did email the Corato townhall, in Italian and English. I had no response.
So I wanted to write to them. Does anyone know the correct mailing address?
Would it help to have a picture of the copy I have? My husband needs a certified copy for dual citizenship purposes we think. Or can we use the photocopies off microfilm? Our records are from 1895. Cataldo Patruno, and Addolrata Adduci.
Thank you,
Karen
karenp

Postby carmine1917 » 06 Sep 2012, 23:50

You can call Salt Lake City and ask them to print a better copy for you. I do it all the time, my family history center has horrible readers.
As for responses to your letters, remember in Italy many towns do not have work hours like the USA. In one town I was in, the office was closed Wed and Friday afternoon and the rest of the days they had 3 hour lunches. So do all you can at the Family History Center and check out their website they are adding italian records all the time.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby karenp » 07 Sep 2012, 01:41

Thank you, I did not know I could do that!
I have been watching familysearch waiting for Bari,Corato records to come online. I even tried indexing..It is hard when you are looking at family names you don't Know. I give them a lot of credit for getting records online as quickly as they do.
Karen
karenp

Postby carmine1917 » 07 Sep 2012, 01:53

I didn't know until a few months ago and I have been going there for 5 years, lol!
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy