Help with illegitate great-grandfather?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help with illegitate great-grandfather?

Postby subate » 17 Sep 2012, 21:56

Hello. My great-grandfather was born in 1887 in Lentini, Sicily from an unmarried couple. The parents are listed as "unknown" on his birth and marriage certificates. The same is true for his siblings, eight of them, all with different surnames. He did in fact know his parents, lived with them, as did his siblings, however, I do not know who his parents are, nor do I know many of his siblings. Since they are believed to have lived in the same house, isn't there a document that would tell who his mother, father and siblings are? If so, I do not know how to get this? I have been at a brick-wall for years! Please help.
subate

Re: Help with illegitate great-grandfather?

Postby Italysearcher » 18 Sep 2012, 08:46

Try to get baptism records. If the parents were married in the church but did not register the marriage at City Hall, this mess of surnames was the result.
Look at who declared the birth. Was it the midwife? The person in charge of the 'ruota'?
Probably the midwife.
The church might even have a 'Stato d'anime' which is a sort of census of the parish. That would show the family group but the chuch might have registered them with other names if they were married in the church. Hard to say.
You might even call the town office and ask if they have Foglio di Famiglia for that period.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help with illegitate great-grandfather?eing

Postby subate » 20 Sep 2012, 00:24

Thank you. It was the midwife who presented the child. The mother "did not concur to being named." Is the Foglio di Famiglia different then the Stato di Famiglia? You can tell I am really ignorant about this!
subate

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy