*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Parish records in Messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Parish records in Messina

Postby clijs » 19 Sep 2012, 20:27

Does anyone know if the parish records in Messina survived the 1908 earthquake and tsunami? If they did, where would they be now?
Thank you,
Laura
clijs

Re: Parish records in Messina

Postby erudita74 » 19 Sep 2012, 22:29

Parishes were not always required to keep record copies at the diocesan level, so unless the parish in question sent copies to the diocese, they would be permanently lost, if the church in which they were housed was destroyed.

You could though check with the administrative office of the diocese to see if your church's records are there.

ufficioamministrativo@diocesimessina.it
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Josie07M11 » 20 Sep 2012, 12:55

Are you looking for Parish records in the city of Messina or the province of Messina? Because I was able to look at perfectly intact records in a parish in Giardini-Naxos, Messina. (A town located on the coast) The records went back a few hundred years I believe.
Josie07M11
Rookie
Rookie

Postby clijs » 21 Sep 2012, 05:01

I am looking for records in the city of Messina. Thank you for the link to the administrative office, I will contact them.
Thank you.
Laura
clijs

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy