Italian Marriages!!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Marriages!!!!

Postby Mardi » 26 Sep 2012, 18:43

Okay you Guys, either you are going to smile and laugh over this or say it is so....

Can someone answer me this question……?????

I am doing my Italian family Genealogy and I know that back in the 1800’s and into the early 1900’s that marriages were arranged marriages, and that brother and sister married sister and brother from very close families. But someone just told me, that some of the marriages were to relatives with the same last name, and that they changed their last name as to marry into family and changed their name back after the marriage took place.

This is very hard for me to swallow……I figured you all have been doing Genealogy for sometime that would have an answer for me. Thank you for all the help you have given to me....but did not know who would know this.

Mardi
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian Marriages!!!!

Postby erudita74 » 26 Sep 2012, 19:16

There definitely were marriages to relatives who had the same surname, as my great grandparents had the same surname and were actually third cousins to one another. Their great grandfathers were brothers. They did not, however, change their surnames because of their marriage.

Even marriages between relatives closer in degree, such as first cousins, occurred. I've also read that in very small villages, if an individual did not marry a relative, there would be no one there for him/her to marry, so dispensations were granted to allow such marriages to take place. I have, however, never read about changing a surname just for a marriage and then back to the original one which was the same as the spouse's.
erudita74
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy