Ancestry research - "Parotto" surname - Potenza province

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BParotto

Ancestry research - "Parotto" surname - Potenza province

Post by BParotto »

I am looking for information on my great great grandparents, whose surname is currently Parotto. The name may have changed when they immigrated to America, I have seen variations such as Perrotto, Perotto, Parrotta, Parotta, Parato, Parrato, etc.. My great great grandfather Rocco was born around 1861 in Potenza province, potentially in Calvello. My great great grandmother Maria Fratanduona/Fredona/Fratano/Tratonduorn (unsure which is her correct maiden name) was born between 1865 & 1872 in Potenza province, potentially in Calvello. They were married around 1880 and immigrated to America shortly after. I have been unable to find their immigration records, or anything from Italy so far, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ancestry research - "Parotto" surname - Potenza province

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and Welcome :-D!

I checked the marriage indexes for Calvello from 1879 - 1884 and only found one marriage record that means SOME of your information... :)

Dated 11 March 1879 in Calvello
Groom: Rocco PERROTTA, age 20; father- Angelo; mother- deceased Anna Maria Carrione
Bride: Maria Maddalena MAZZIOTTO, age 19; father - deceased Luigi; mother - Leonarda Maria Dell'Aquila

Right side of image
click once to enlarge and again to magnify

T.
BParotto

Post by BParotto »

Thanks so much for the fast reply! In talking with some of my relatives, Maria would have been about 5 years younger than Rocco. It was an arranged marriage. Perhaps the wedding was not in Calvello, but somewhere else in Potenza province? Maybe 1 of them was from Calvello but the other was not. I will try to ask for any more information from my relatives as well.
BParotto

Post by BParotto »

I spoke with some relatives and found new information - my great great grandmother's name looks to have been Maria Antonio Fratianton or Frantianton. (born in 1869?) Her parents were John Fratianton/Frantianton and Theresa Gambilio. They were from the town of Calvello. Any help anyone could give me on finding information on her, her parents, or her marriage to Rocco in the 1880's would be greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BParotto wrote:I spoke with some relatives and found new information - my great great grandmother's name looks to have been Maria Antonio Fratianton or Frantianton. (born in 1869?) Her parents were John Fratianton/Frantianton and Theresa Gambilio. They were from the town of Calvello. Any help anyone could give me on finding information on her, her parents, or her marriage to Rocco in the 1880's would be greatly appreciated.
Could your GGGM's surname have been Pietrantuono? This name exists in Calvello...

What reference do you have for her maiden name?

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found this record abt Rocco and Maria ( Maria Antonietta Fratantuono I believe right name) and by a genealogic tree on ancestry.com, abt your ancestors, seeming that was married in Illinois and not in Italy:
Cook County, Illinois, Marriages Index, 1871-1920 about Rocco Perrotto
Name: Rocco Perrotto
Birth Year: abt 1858
Birth Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Marriage Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 16 Apr 1882
Marriage Place: Cook, Illinois
Spouse Name: Maria A. Fratano
Spouse Age: 18
Spouse Gender: Female
Spouse Birth Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
FHL Film Number: 1030123

Rocco Parotto
Birth 1861 in Italy
Death 28 Mar 1896 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA

Maria Fratanduono
Birth 29 Apr 1869 in Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
Death 17 Jun 1923 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
BParotto

Post by BParotto »

Tessa78 wrote:
BParotto wrote:I spoke with some relatives and found new information - my great great grandmother's name looks to have been Maria Antonio Fratianton or Frantianton. (born in 1869?) Her parents were John Fratianton/Frantianton and Theresa Gambilio. They were from the town of Calvello. Any help anyone could give me on finding information on her, her parents, or her marriage to Rocco in the 1880's would be greatly appreciated.
Could your GGGM's surname have been Pietrantuono? This name exists in Calvello...

What reference do you have for her maiden name?

T.
Hello, it's possible that could be her maiden name. Unfortunately my only source is a handwritten note from a relative who at one time was looking into this. The only actual records I have are from the U.S. after she was married. Do you show a Maria Pietrantuono being married to a Rocco Parotto? (or similar spelling)
BParotto

Post by BParotto »

suanj wrote:I found this record abt Rocco and Maria ( Maria Antonietta Fratantuono I believe right name) and by a genealogic tree on ancestry.com, abt your ancestors, seeming that was married in Illinois and not in Italy:
Cook County, Illinois, Marriages Index, 1871-1920 about Rocco Perrotto
Name: Rocco Perrotto
Birth Year: abt 1858
Birth Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Marriage Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 16 Apr 1882
Marriage Place: Cook, Illinois
Spouse Name: Maria A. Fratano
Spouse Age: 18
Spouse Gender: Female
Spouse Birth Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
FHL Film Number: 1030123

Rocco Parotto
Birth 1861 in Italy
Death 28 Mar 1896 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA

Maria Fratanduono
Birth 29 Apr 1869 in Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
Death 17 Jun 1923 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA

suanj
Hello, I believe the tree you're referring to either belongs to me or my aunt, as we both posted a tree with information from the same hard copy tree that a relative had done several years ago. I'm still missing any actual records to confirm anything prior to their arrival in the U.S. Thank you for looking into this!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

The 1900 & 1910 census may have some clues that could help in the search
Valarie

In 1900 Mary is remarried to John Worrell (from their 1910 census, both had been married before)
Angeline, Theresa, Louis, John and Rocco are 1st husband Rocco Parotto's children
According to the 1900 census daughters Angeline and Theresa Parotto may have been born in Italy? Both Angeline (Scattone) and Theresa (Durand) census records after 1910 indicate they were born in IL

1900 census in Cook County
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/811/1900j.jpg

Home in 1900:
160 Green
Chicago Ward 17, Cook, Illinois

head John Worrel 41, born Apr 1859 IT
- married 18 yrs
- immig 1890
wife Mary A Worrel 31, born May 1869 IT
- 8 children born, 6 children living
- immig 1890
daughter (step daughter) Angeline Worrel 14, born Jun 1885 IT