I'm traveling to Rome and want to get records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

I'm traveling to Rome and want to get records

Postby Spiveycol » 28 Sep 2012, 17:09

Hello. I am traveling to Rome from the US in a few days. I would love to take some time to obtain birth and/or marriage records of my great grandparents. I have seen their names from their son's (my grandfather) marriage certificate as parents of the groom. It stated Maria Furcera and Joseph Orlando. The United States Census records say that Joseph Orlando was born in 1854. Maria would have been born around then too. However, on the census records and her grave it says Mary instead of Maria. They were married in Italy in 1880 and came to the US in 1893. I was once told by an elderly uncle that Maria (Mary) came from "royalty" in Rome. However, she fell in love with the gardener, Joseph Orlando, and as a result of their marriage in 1880, she was disowned. I do not know if that is true. When my uncle would tell the story, he referred to her as Mary Cutri (spelling ?). I don't know where he got that information from because like I said it showed Furcera on her son's marriage certificate. I don't want that to confuse my research though b/c I am sure he was just wrong. However, I wanted to mention it just in case it is of some importance. So my question is, with all that information I have, where in Rome can I go to get a copy of their birth or marriage certificate? Thanks for any help you can give.
Spiveycol

Re: I'm traveling to Rome and want to get records

Postby PippoM » 29 Sep 2012, 09:03

Roma became part of Italy in 1870, and since then the keeping of vital records was started. So, at the Commune, they should have a record of their marriage, but I don't know if they will be able to find it with so few info. Moreover, surname Forcera seem not to exist in Italy today (at least in White Pages), so, it might be a missspelling.
If you want, I could try to help you with some call (or with some office, if I have time), when you come to Roma, as I live there. If so, please send me a PM.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: I'm traveling to Rome and want to get records

Postby Italysearcher » 29 Sep 2012, 18:01

The Comune di Roma accepts only witten requests for records after 1870. It takes them one month to reply (in Italy)
Before 1870 you can go to the
Vicariata di Roma
Archivio Storico
Via Amba Aradam 3 (Near San Giovanni Laterano)
Roma, RM 00187
which has parish records before 1930. They are open Mon-Fri 8-45am to 1pm. Go early to get a seat. You must put in your request by 11am I think.
Thursdays they are open only until 11am and your request must be in by 10am.
You have to know the parish or at least the street address where they lived so they can find the parish. Take a friend, they only allow 4 requests a day each. A letter from your priest would help also.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy