Monastra family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Monastra family

Post by suanj »

Thanks Tessa, "Fitzlio" was "Fitalia" aka San Salvatore di Fitalia.. hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
tan42

Post by tan42 »

wow!!!! You are so wonderful all of you :) thankyou xxxx
I will add this info to my family tree :) Umberto had siblings yes, Marietta (mary), Rosa and Salvatore :) I know grandad came to new zealand when he was only little, around 4 i think.....
It does say in our family book that Salvatore Calogera Monastra 1884 was brought up by his grandparents because his parents died when he was young and he had a brother (no name given) brought up elsewhere.
It says Salvatore met Eleanora in Stromboli where he was stationed with the Carabinieri there. They were married aroung 1918 it says and then a short time later moved to Sicily and made their home in Castell'Umberto.
It was 1922 when the immigrated to New Zealand

Thankyou again for your time and effort. its sooooooo exciting!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

tan42 wrote:wow!!!! You are so wonderful all of you :) thankyou xxxx
I will add this info to my family tree :) Umberto had siblings yes, Marietta (mary), Rosa and Salvatore :) I know grandad came to new zealand when he was only little, around 4 i think.....
It does say in our family book that Salvatore Calogera Monastra 1884 was brought up by his grandparents because his parents died when he was young and he had a brother (no name given) brought up elsewhere.
It says Salvatore met Eleanora in Stromboli where he was stationed with the Carabinieri there. They were married aroung 1918 it says and then a short time later moved to Sicily and made their home in Castell'Umberto.
It was 1922 when the immigrated to New Zealand

Thankyou again for your time and effort. its sooooooo exciting!!!

I tried to find a marriage record for the parents of Salvatore Calogero in the San Salvatore di Fitalia records but came up empty handed. The year 1880 is missing from the records, so possibly that was the year his parents married. Do you know if the parents died in that town or if the siblings were born there? I looked for siblings in the years preceding and following his birth, but also didn't find any.
tan42

Post by tan42 »

thankyou all so much for the time you have taken to find out this information :)Umberto came to New ZEaland when he was young, perhaps 4? He has siblings but i think they were born in New Zealand as Umberto is the oldest. :)
Ciao for now and thankyou xxx
tan42

Post by tan42 »

hi again, i have no idea about the parents as all it says in our family book is that they died and Salvatore and his brother were brought up by relatives but seperately. I dont even know who the brother was It wouldnt happen to say who Giuseppe or Rosa's parents were would it?? Would love to know how they died but probably hard to find out? Sorry if i dont make sense all the time .....it all gets confusing....lol :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

tan42 wrote:hi again, i have no idea about the parents as all it says in our family book is that they died and Salvatore and his brother were brought up by relatives but seperately. I dont even know who the brother was It wouldnt happen to say who Giuseppe or Rosa's parents were would it?? Would love to know how they died but probably hard to find out? Sorry if i dont make sense all the time .....it all gets confusing....lol :)
Since I couldn't locate a marriage record for them, I have no idea who their parents were. However, if they died in S. Salvatore not long after he was born, then perhaps there is a death record for them among the online records for the town which go from 1867 to 1909.
Italy, Messina, Patti, Ci...on (Tribunale), 1823-1941
San Salvatore di Fitalia
Morti 1867-1909
at www.familysearch.org

There is free registration at this site, and then you can access the records yourself.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Possible new info which has created some new mysteries-

I found a death record in the San Salvatore records for a woman who,in the index, is listed as Rosalia Monastra Giachino. Then I found the actual record and her name on the record is given as Teresa Locascio Rosa. The death record is #6, dated on Feb 2, 1886, but she died on the 1st in San Salvatore. Interesting is that she had been born in Castell'Umberto but was living in S. Salvatore di Fitalia, and her mother, Maria Germana, was still alive and living in Castell'Umberto. She was 24 and a seamstress at the time of her death. Her father was deceased Salvatore. The record though says that she is the spouse of Giuseppe Giachino, meaning that her husband died after her. I checked through the San Salvatore records to see if there was a death record for Sal Calogero's father, Giuseppe Monastra, in 1884, but after the birth, and I also checked in the years through 1889. I couldn't find a death record for your Giuseppe Monastra. I also checked to see if there was a marriage record for Rosa to this Giuseppe Giachino, after the birth of her son in 1884 and up to the time that she died in early 1886, but I couldn't find any among the S. Salvatore records.

So I can't say for sure that this record is for your ancestor, but this is the only instance so far of the Locascio surname in the San Salvatore records other than on the birth record of Salvatore Calogero.

I also tried to find the birth record for this Rosa Locascio in the Castell'Umberto records for about 1862, which is her estimated year of birth from her age of 24 in her 1886 death record. Unfortunately, the birth records for the town of Castania, which was Castell'Umberto in the earlier records, only go to 1860. The Castell'Umberto civil records then start in 1865, so we have 5 years of records that we have no way of accessing. I was hoping that somehow there might be a notation in the margin of her birth record, with her marriage info to Giuseppe Monastra, but I struck out with this idea. Sorry.
tan42

Post by tan42 »

that is so interesting and i am going to take the information thus far and visit my grandad and talk to him.....show him what you have all been so kind to find. Its fascinating to find out about people.
My partner and i hope to come to italy in the next year or two, once we are married and i would soooo love to visit all these lovely places :)
Thankyou once again xx
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I sent another email yesterday morning to the town official in Castell'Umberto to try to get a date of birth and possible marriage info for the Rosa whose death record I found in S. Salvatore. I haven't heard back from him. I was hoping he had an annotation to prove that Giuseppe Monastra were her husband. I'll let you know if I get a reply. In the meantime, I am still checking through records from both towns, but there are missing years which makes the search difficult. If you can get any additonal info to help in the search, that would be great.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Tanya
About the death record I found in S. Salvatore for the Rosa Lo Cascio who was born in Castell'Umberto-

I just heard back from the town official in Castell'Umberto. It appears that this Rosa is not the mother of your Salvatore Calogero Monastra. This Rosa was born on Jan 12, 1862 in Castell'Umberto, record #5, Part I, and was the daughter of Salvatore LoCascio and Maria Germana'. She was also the wife of a Giuseppe Giachino, not a Giuseppe Monastra, which was what was stated in her S. Salvatore death record. She married Giuseppe Giachino in Castell'Umberto on July 15, 1883. The town official did not send me any information on this Giuseppe Giachino. So, even though the dates fit, this does not appear to be the Rosa LoCascio who was married to Giuseppe Monastra and was the mother of your Salvatore Calogero Monastra.

I have searched both towns' records and can't find a marriage record for Giuseppe Monastra and Rosa LoCascio, but there are missing years of records in both towns. I also can't find any records for siblings of Salvatore Calogero Monastra which would enable me to narrow down a year of marriage for his parents. If I could do that, then perhaps I could get info from the town of Castell'Umberto, as the official there is always willing to check his registers for information. So, if you discover any new information about Salvatore Calogero's siblings, please post it.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Tanya,
I just received an email from the town official in Castell'Umberto. There is no marriage of a Rosa LoCascio to a Giuseppe Monastra in the registers there. I'll have to try contacting the town of S. Salvatore to see if they have in their registers info for the years that are missing from the online records.
Erudita
janafeeney

Post by janafeeney »

erudita74 wrote: 16 Oct 2012, 00:32 Possible new info which has created some new mysteries-

I found a death record in the San Salvatore records for a woman who,in the index, is listed as Rosalia Monastra Giachino. Then I found the actual record and her name on the record is given as Teresa Locascio Rosa. The death record is #6, dated on Feb 2, 1886, but she died on the 1st in San Salvatore. Interesting is that she had been born in Castell'Umberto but was living in S. Salvatore di Fitalia, and her mother, Maria Germana, was still alive and living in Castell'Umberto. She was 24 and a seamstress at the time of her death. Her father was deceased Salvatore. The record though says that she is the spouse of Giuseppe Giachino, meaning that her husband died after her. I checked through the San Salvatore records to see if there was a death record for Sal Calogero's father, Giuseppe Monastra, in 1884, but after the birth, and I also checked in the years through 1889. I couldn't find a death record for your Giuseppe Monastra. I also checked to see if there was a marriage record for Rosa to this Giuseppe Giachino, after the birth of her son in 1884 and up to the time that she died in early 1886, but I couldn't find any among the S. Salvatore records.

So I can't say for sure that this record is for your ancestor, but this is the only instance so far of the Locascio surname in the San Salvatore records other than on the birth record of Salvatore Calogero.

I also tried to find the birth record for this Rosa Locascio in the Castell'Umberto records for about 1862, which is her estimated year of birth from her age of 24 in her 1886 death record. Unfortunately, the birth records for the town of Castania, which was Castell'Umberto in the earlier records, only go to 1860. The Castell'Umberto civil records then start in 1865, so we have 5 years of records that we have no way of accessing. I was hoping that somehow there might be a notation in the margin of her birth record, with her marriage info to Giuseppe Monastra, but I struck out with this idea. Sorry.
My great grandmother’s name was Naria Germana from Castell Umberto. Her husband was Francesco Prestileo. Do you know of any connection?
Thanks!