recruitment in NYC

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

recruitment in NYC

Postby joetucciarone » 11 Oct 2012, 22:23

Does anyone know anything about the recruitment of immigrants in New York City by coal companies in the 1880's?

My Italian ancestors immigrated between 1879 and 1882, entering the U.S. through New York City. Within months they had settled in Coalburg, Ohio where they worked in mines operated by the Mahoning Coal Company. Coalburg was (and is) a tiny village almost 400 miles west of New York. They can't have simply wandered about and found Coalburg by chance.

I have read that some coal companies had agents in New York who recruited immigrants. Does anyone know if records exist in New York that might list the companies engaged in recruitment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe
joetucciarone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: recruitment in NYC

Postby Tessa78 » 12 Oct 2012, 15:55

joetucciarone wrote:Does anyone know anything about the recruitment of immigrants in New York City by coal companies in the 1880's?

My Italian ancestors immigrated between 1879 and 1882, entering the U.S. through New York City. Within months they had settled in Coalburg, Ohio where they worked in mines operated by the Mahoning Coal Company. Coalburg was (and is) a tiny village almost 400 miles west of New York. They can't have simply wandered about and found Coalburg by chance.

I have read that some coal companies had agents in New York who recruited immigrants. Does anyone know if records exist in New York that might list the companies engaged in recruitment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Have you seen this site?
They have some interesting collections and resources :-)

http://steelvalleyvoices.ysu.edu/resour ... el-valley/

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: recruitment in NYC

Postby joetucciarone » 13 Oct 2012, 15:33

Hi Tessa,

Thank you for pointing out that article to me. I read it and sent a correction to the author. She stated that there were no Italians on the 1880 census for Trumbull County. In fact, there are at least 65 Italian immigrants on pages 71 and 72 of the 1880 Hubbard census, my great-great-grandfather among them. These two pages are apparently a record of the "Little Italy" section of Coalburg, Ohio.

Many of the Italians in this census are from Agnone and are listed as having worked in the mines for the previous four months. It seems that they immigrated en masse. How they all found their way to Coalburg is the mystery.

My great-great-grandfather appears as "Daniel Mishishk" on this census; that's the agent's attempt to spell his name, "Misischia".

Sincerely,

Joe Tucciarone

p.s. My mother's family names were Misischia and Maddalena, both were from Agnone and both settled in Coalburg.
joetucciarone
Rookie
Rookie

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy