Cafiero from Meta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Cafiero from Meta

Postby suetroc » 15 Oct 2012, 04:55

I have already made tons of progress on many branches of my family thru this web site. One branch of my family (Trapani) is from Meta, Italy. I hired a professional researcher and he has gotten me much information. I would love to continue more research myself- but cannot figure out if there are any microfilms from family search that cover the Meta region? One family member he found is Maria Giovanna Cafiero (my gg grandmother) who was born Nov 20 1805. I have read that the Cafiero family was an important family in Meta but cannot connect her with anyone from other websites. My grandmother always told me her family "came from someone important". I have a feeling she was talking about the Cafieros. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Susan
suetroc

Re: Cafiero from Meta

Postby erudita74 » 15 Oct 2012, 14:57

The microfilmed state civil records for Meta (Naples) appear to only go from 1901 to 1927. I don't see any for the earlier years. Plus to get earlier than the start of the civil records, or earlier than the 1801 date that the researcher found for you, you would have to research church records. I don't, however, see any microfilmed church records for this area.

There are two parishes there, as far as I can tell-

S.Maria Del Lauro
Piazza S. Maria del Lauro
80062 Meta (NA)
Italia

S. Maria delle Grazie
Via Alberi-Alberi
80062 Meta (NA)
Italia

To help with writing letters in Italian to the parishes-
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html

Normally a donation is customary, but you might want to write to see if they even have records for your ancestors before sending any money.
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby suetroc » 16 Oct 2012, 00:46

Thank you
suetroc

Postby erudita74 » 16 Oct 2012, 03:08

You're welcome. I hope the info helps you.
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy