Cosma Laneve - clarifying parents' names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Cosma Laneve - clarifying parents' names

Postby apersico » 18 Oct 2012, 00:08

I'm looking for a little bit of advice.

When looking for vital records on my 3G grandmother Cosma Laneve, I found a discrepancy in her parents' names. In her marriage record it says that her parents' names are Evangelista Laneve and Paola Livinia Panaro. However, when I found her death record, it says her parents' names are Angelo Laneve and Marta Tauro (interestingly, the same as her husband's mother's name). I would have assumed that the death record was incorrect, but when I went back and looked at Cosma and Pietro's children's names, I noticed that their 2nd born son was named Angelo and their 2nd daughter was Antonia (their first 2 children were named Marta and Giuseppe). They have no children named Evangelista or Paola. She was born in the late 1700s or early 1800s, so I can't get a birth record. Is it more likely that her parents are really Angelo and Marta? If so, why would her marriage record name Evangelista and Paola as her parents? Or am I missing/misinterpreting something in the marriage record?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apersico

Re: Cosma Laneve - clarifying parents' names

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Oct 2012, 02:20

My thoughts are that the parents listed in the marriage record are accurate.
The record of birth must be provided for the marriage, so parents' names would also appear there for the record. Sometimes you can find the birth record in the allegati (attachments) for the marriage record. You can also look for verification in the Pubblicazione of the marriage (banns) to see the parents' names.

Death records can be inaccurate due to informant's knowledge, or lack thereof.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Cosma Laneve - clarifying parents' names

Postby PippoM » 19 Oct 2012, 07:56

My guess is that Evangelista was the "official" name of Cosma's father, but he was usually called "Angelo" (Angelo actually is "inside" Evangelista). When her death was declared, the declarer (her son-in-law) confused her mother's name with her husband's mother's name (Both Marta and Paola must have died long before). Of course, this would also explain why both Angelo and Marta are their children's names. But this is just a guess...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy