Saponara di Grumento Nova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Saponara di Grumento Nova

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 18 Oct 2012, 09:00

I would also appreciate information about the following Saponara di Grumento Nova/Grumento Nova families:
Toscano (Carmela), Lauria, Cavallo or Cavalo, Pricolo, Garlanda, Abate Mateo, Padula (spelling?). I am particularly interested to learn more about my great-grandparents: Guiseppi PRICOLO who married Rosalie CAVALLO(CAVALO - spelling?) in the mid 1800's. They had two daughters Maria born 1887 and Rosa who married Donato Toscano. Thank you for your help.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Saponara di Grumento Nova

Postby erudita74 » 18 Oct 2012, 13:37

There are also microfilmed records for this town available for rental through a Mormon library.

Registri dello stato civile di Grumento Nova (Potenza), 1809-1910
erudita74
Master
Master

UPDATING INFORMATION RE SAPONARA DI GRUMENTO (GRUMENTO NOVA)

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 07 Jan 2014, 23:06

erudita74 wrote:There are also microfilmed records for this town available for rental through a Mormon library.

Registri dello stato civile di Grumento Nova (Potenza), 1809-1910

The records for the years 1866-1910 were put on line shortly after this post and can be found at the following link:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043547

Just click on the relevant records there i.e. Morti 1902-1910 (Death Records), Nati 1866-1895 (Birth Records), Nati 1896-1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1910 Matrimoni 1866-1909 Morti 1866-1901 (Births, Marriage Banns, Marriage, Death Records)

The latter starts with Births.

Pubblicazion di Matrimonioi (Marriage Banns) starts here at image 519:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1211340491

Degli Atti Di Matrimonio (Marriage Records) begin at Image 1443:

Degli Atti Di Morte 1866-1901 (Death Records) start at Image 2176:

Most of these records have an index at the back of their respective years.

These records can also be found at ancestry.com but you need a subscription to view the records: http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1886

On right-hand side enter:
Province: Potenza
Locality: Grumento Nova and/or Saponara di Grumento
Record Type: Choose the type of records you want to look at and then the years available for that type of record will come up which you click on to view the records.

There are additional Death Records there which are not currently available on line at Family Search for the years 1917, 1924, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938 (Enter Grumento Nova in the locality) and

1921 (Enter Saponara di Grumenta in the locality)

Records for the years prior to 1866 need to be rented through a Mormon library. I have looked through two films so far and the Allegati are fantastic :!: :D Hopefully they will be put on line soon.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

UPDATING SOME OF MY SDG FAMILY SURNAMES

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 08 Jan 2014, 23:24

AngelaGrace56 wrote:I would also appreciate information about the following Saponara di Grumento/Grumento Nova families:
Toscano (Carmela), Lauria, Cavallo or Cavalo, Pricolo,Garlanda, Abate Mateo, Padula (spelling?). I am particularly interested to learn more about my great-grandparents: Giuseppi PRICOLO who married Rosolia CAVALLO) in the mid 1800's. They had two daughters Maria born 1887 and Rosa who married Donato Toscano. Thank you for your help.

This original post is very outdated now so I've decided to write a very brief update. (Such a challenge for people who thrive on detail! :) )

SURNAME: ABATEMATTEO

I have come to the conclusion that “Abate Mateo” is not a Saponara di Grumento name. I haven’t come across it in any of the BMD’s for the years 1866-1910 nor the two films I have rented from LDS. I am sure now that it is spelt “Abatematteo” (and not “Abate Mateo”). Nowadays Abatematteo appears mainly in the region of Puglia and not at all in Basilicata, according to the following link:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... spuWdIW0uc

The person I am looking for is Francesco Abatematteo who married Agnesa De Milita. Agnesa was born in 1883 in Saponara Di Grumento (SDG). I haven’t been able to find their marriage record so either they were married after 1910 or in Francesco’s home town. My understanding is that they settled in SDG so I think that it is more likely they were married in SDG after 1910. I think they had a vineyard (La Vigna). Someone reading this post just might have this couple in their history which might help me to fill in some gaps. (Forever hopeful!) (I would love to hear from anyone who has a De Milita/Di Milita from Saponara di Grumento in their family history. While I do have a lot of information already, there are still gaps. In particular, I would love and appreciate some photos of this famiily.)

SURNAME: GALANTE

The name “Garlanda” which I wrote down phonetically many years ago when I was gleaning info from my parents, is actually spelt “Galante”. My Galante family was born in Sarconi, married then moved to SDG.

SAPONARA DI GRUMENTO FAMILY NAMES OF INTEREST:

Besides the SDG surnames Cavallo, De Milita/Di Milita, Lauria, Padula, Pricolo, and Toscano, which I now have a lot more info about, the following are some of the other Saponara di Grumento surnames of interest to me:

Argenzio, Bafunno, Caifano, Casella, Ciuffo, Cotugno, De Novis, La Rossa, La Salvia, Nigri/Nigro, Peluso, Romeo, Vertunni

Thank you for this reading post.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy