hard time with castellamarre del golfo records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

hard time with castellamarre del golfo records

Postby Gerbino » 24 Oct 2012, 02:43

Im having a hard time locating family records for instance birth records for my gerbino family in castellamarre del golfo. is there any one here who can help?
Gerbino

Re: hard time with castellamarre del golfo records

Postby erudita74 » 24 Oct 2012, 06:14

Welcome to the forum-

There are microfilmed records for the town available for rental through a Mormon library-

Registri dello stato civile di Castellammare del Golfo (Trapani), 1820-1910
Authors Castellammare del Golfo (Trapani). Ufficio dello stato civile

The cost to rent one roll of microfilm is now abt $7.50, and it remains at your local center for abt one month for your use.

To find the nearest center to where you live, you can refer to the link below-

https://familysearch.org/locations
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Gerbino » 24 Oct 2012, 14:36

thank you i think that would help i didnt even relize there is one of those places at the library 5 min from me how many names are on the microfilm? i mean having it for a month is it one of those things you have to search through each name
Gerbino

Postby erudita74 » 24 Oct 2012, 17:55

Gerbino wrote:thank you i think that would help i didnt even relize there is one of those places at the library 5 min from me how many names are on the microfilm? i mean having it for a month is it one of those things you have to search through each name

I can't really answer whether you would have to search through every name as, believe it or not, each of the town's films can be different, and I've never done research of your town's records. If you're lucky, there will be indices (indexes with names), or even names in the margins of the records themselves, but I can't promise you that there will be. You would have to rent one roll of microfilm and see. I also can't promise you that the records will be in a form format with the blanks filled in with the important handwritten info. Some records are totally handwritten and in old script. The more recent records though should be in a format with fill in the blanks with names in the margins and hopefully indices preceding or at the end of a year's worth of records. Eventually these records may be online at familysearch.org under Continental Europe, but I have no idea how long it will take before this region of Sicily, and your town's records, are online, so that you can view them in the comfort of your own home and at whatever hour you so choose. The family history centers are staffed by volunteers and usually have limited hours. You would have to check with the center nearest to your home to know what their days and hours of operation are. If you can access the records though, you will learn a wealth of info about your ancestry. It can be difficult and tedious research, but very rewarding if you persevere.
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy