*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

records

Postby dmt1955 » 28 Oct 2012, 21:39

i discovered (on microfilm records from family search) called "Cittadinanze" for varying years. To what information do these records pertain?

Thanks,
Donna
www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara, Altavilla, Zungoli
dmt1955
Elite
Elite

Re: records

Postby erudita74 » 29 Oct 2012, 03:15

dmt1955 wrote:i discovered (on microfilm records from family search) called "Cittadinanze" for varying years. To what information do these records pertain?

Thanks,
Donna

It seems these records are statements concerning the transfer of a citizen's place of residence, either by moving in or moving out of a particular town. I went through 143 images online for one of my ancestral towns for the years between 1866 and 1910. There were only 15 actual "atti di cittadinanze" starting in the year 1888. Prior to that, there were images that just stated that the official was closing out the books for the particular year. After doing some 33 images, I came to a page which was a summary of the previous year's records-it showed 0 for the acts of citizenship, and then also had a count of the birth records, death records, marriage publications, marriage acts, etc, including the number of pages for these records in the given year in that town.

When I did finally come to some actual records in the year 1888, some were for a single individual, whereas in others the individual was declaring a transfer of residence for himself and his family. In one instance, a period of 6 months was mentioned in the record. As far as I know, these records were not about individuals who migrated for short periods of time to other towns. Nor were they for Italian citizens who migrated seasonally to countries such as Argentina, when it was winter in Italy and summer in South America. It seems these were acts concerning the transfer of residency from one town to another by an Italian citizen. These records were about permanent moves.
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 29 Oct 2012, 14:22

thanks so much for the explanation, e.

as my ability to translate italian (and the script) is elementary, i am concerned about what I might be missing. given this, i may take a few scans and translate them so i can become familiar with certain phrases, etc.

you are a great resource and teacher!
donna
www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara, Altavilla, Zungoli
dmt1955
Elite
Elite

Postby erudita74 » 29 Oct 2012, 15:05

dmt1955 wrote:thanks so much for the explanation, e.

as my ability to translate italian (and the script) is elementary, i am concerned about what I might be missing. given this, i may take a few scans and translate them so i can become familiar with certain phrases, etc.

you are a great resource and teacher!
donna

You're very welcome. Actually your question forced me to go through the images which I had previously failed to do for my husband's ancestry. I was hoping to find his great grandfather who ended up in another town. I have his marriage and death records from the other town, but never looked at the cittadinanze acts in that town. Of course, those are currently not available online, and I am now inclined to think that the ones in his birth town were all for people who were permanently relocating to that town and not for those like him who left there to permanently relocate somewhere else.
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy