Cecchini - Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hawker

Cecchini - Surname

Post by hawker »

I am trying to find out my grandmother's maiden name, her first name was Michelina. She was born in Italy in 1888. She married my grandfather, Eugenio Cecchini, who immigrated to the US, via Ellis Island in 1902. He was from Montegallo. I believe he was single when he came to the US from Italy. They started a family in Pennsylvania and then relocated to Detroit, Michigan, they had nine children (I believe). I believe my grandmother died in 1945, but I don't know where in Italy she came from or when she immigrated to the US. Both of my parents are deceased and I don't have any siblings, so I don't know where to start looking for her background.

Dan Cecchini
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Cecchini - Surname

Post by brujaojos »

hawker wrote:I am trying to find out my grandmother's maiden name, her first name was Michelina. She was born in Italy in 1888. She married my grandfather, Eugenio Cecchini, who immigrated to the US, via Ellis Island in 1902. He was from Montegallo. I believe he was single when he came to the US from Italy. They started a family in Pennsylvania and then relocated to Detroit, Michigan, they had nine children (I believe). I believe my grandmother died in 1945, but I don't know where in Italy she came from or when she immigrated to the US. Both of my parents are deceased and I don't have any siblings, so I don't know where to start looking for her background.

Dan Cecchini
Dear Dan,

Do you know where in Pennsylvania that the family lived? If you have an idea, it will be a big help for then I would be able to give you more information.

However, I did find the family in the 1930 Federal Census in Michigan. Here is the information from the census.

Eugene - born abt. 1878,
Michelina - born abt. 1888,
Emelia - born abt. 1906,
Lucy - born abt. 1911,
Genevieve - born abt. 1914,
Nino - born abt. 1916,
James - born abt. 1920,
Camella - born abt. 1922,
Anthony - born abt. 1925,

The Children were all born in PA. Also, Eugene and Michelina were married about 1905 per the census.

I'll see if I find more info, but if you know where in PA, that would help me search.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
hawker

Post by hawker »

Dear Trish,

They lived in the Hershey, PA area. I'm not sure if they lived in Hershey itself or not. That is my family you have listed.

Thank you for your help! :D
Dan
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

yours is an uphill battle but not impossible.

since they first settled in hershey, pa.one must assume that they married in that city. it is located in Dauphin County. the next task is to write to that county or visit if you are near by.

request a copy of their "application for marriage".
in this case the search will be for the male partner since you lack the proper name of the female. if you can get a copy of that document it will reveal her maiden name and the names of her parents. also it may refer to her birth place as italy or better yet the name of her village.

good luck, juan
hawker

Post by hawker »

Juan,

Thanks for the direction on the search.

Dan
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

hawker wrote:Dear Trish,

They lived in the Hershey, PA area. I'm not sure if they lived in Hershey itself or not. That is my family you have listed.

Thank you for your help! :D
Dan
Hi Dan,

You can try a few things to get information:

1. You can write to the Pennsylvania for the Birth Records of the son, James. His Birth Record should have the parents names and it should have the mother's maiden name on it. James information is

Born: 12 May 1920 - died: 14 Jun 1988 (per Social Security Death Index)

The link for PA Vital Records is below. Download the PDF File which is the form to use. You need a check for $9.00 and a SASE.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/healt ... 8&Q=202219

2. You can try to write for the marriage record and make sure you ask for the marriage application too. Call first to find out the fees. It should be about $10-$15 for both license and application.

When you write give them the following

husband : Eugene Cecchini (aka- Eugenio Cecchini) born in Italy
wife: Michelina (Surname Unknown) born in italy
Married between 1904-1906

Dauphin County Vital Records
Dauphin County Courthouse
Front & Market Sts
Harrisburg, PA 17101-2012
(717) 255-2711

However, I think I may have found the family in the 1920 census in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in the Luzerne Township under James Cecchini.

It stated
James
Maggie
Milio
Rosie
Mary
Lucy
Jennie
Leno/Nino

Fayette County Vital Records
Fayette County Register of Wills Office
61 East Main Street
Uniontown, PA 15401-3514
(724) 430-1206

One Note: I can't say for sure that they were married in Fayette County or Dauphin County.

I hope this helps.
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
hawker

Post by hawker »

Hi Trish,

Thank you for your time researching my family for me and also for the directions on how to get the public records. I'll be contacting Dauphin and/or Fayette counties next week to get copies of the records.

Your help is really appreciated! :D

Dan