Villetto - Procida?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Villetto - Procida?

Postby futureitalian » 15 Mar 2013, 13:24

I'm on the hunt for the name Villetto. My great grandfather allegedly came from Procida, Napoli, Italy, but looking through birth records online from Procida I do not see him. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that Villetto isn't just a made up name.

I'm not really sure where to turn, and I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions to help me hunt down Giorgio Villetto, who claims to have been born in Procida, Jan 3rd, 1899.
futureitalian

Re: Villetto - Procida?

Postby Italysearcher » 15 Mar 2013, 15:38

Villetti is a surname in the Naples area. Go to www.paginebianche.it and enter the surname. Villetto doesn't exist today but doesn't mean it wasn't an invented surname given to an abandoned baby.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Villetto - Procida?

Postby futureitalian » 16 Mar 2013, 00:46

I have yet to say Villetti either in the books, but it's interesting that you mention an abandoned baby as we're not really sure what the deal is with his family. On his Ellis Island documents where it says the family/friends he's closest to it just says "friends." He came to America when he was 9 to live with someone that the Ellis Island document says is his step mother, but my father thinks she was actually his aunt.

Her name was Orsola Anzalone, she appears to have come over several year prior through Ellis island.

What would this mean for collecting documents from Italy? I'm (obviously) applying JS, and I have a really good paper trail starting at Ellis Island, and there's a substantial amount of proof that he did at least live in Procida for part of his life (I'm thinking the fact that the man he was traveling with - listed as his uncle is listed as from Procida, and has a wife and siste there, and that the woman he lived with in NY said she was from Procida on her ellis island papers). I'm just at a loss, because I personally searched through microfilm in the years before and after he was allegedly born for Proceda (Feb 3rd, 1899) and found nothing.. He petitioned for naturalization in 1943, 12 years after the birth of my grandmother.

I did think Villetto was some sort of madeup name because I could not find anyone with that last name in Italy (though there does appear to be a town called Villetto.)
futureitalian

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy