Tracing Votta and Lasco Families, Potenza, Basilicata

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nancyschmancy

Tracing Votta and Lasco Families, Potenza, Basilicata

Post by nancyschmancy »

I am trying to locate any living ancestors from my mother's side of the family that may still reside in the Basilicata region.
My grandfather: Carmine Votta, born 29 October 1875 in Paterno di Lucania, Marsiconuovo, Potenza, Basilicata. He was the fifth of six children: Domenic, Maria, Filomena, Raffaele, "Carmine", Concetta. (Maria and Filomena died in childhood). His parents were Liborio Votta born c.1832 and Maria Rosa Manlella, born c.1834 both lived in Paterno. Carmine immigrated to the USA on 11, June 1901. Resided in Hazleton, PA until his death 21 April 1930.

My grandmother, Theresa Lasco, was born in the USA on 20 August 1887 although her father, Rocco Lasco was from Calvello, born 24 October 1855 and her mother, Anna Gaetana Emma, born 17 February, 1865 in Laurenzana. Rocco immigrated to the US in 1879 and Anna in 1881.

I will be visiting the region in the Fall and would love to visit any distance family. I don't know how to go about locating any living relatives. Any suggestions you have would be most welcomed! Thank you. Nancy
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Tracing Votta and Lasco Families, Potenza, Basilicata

Post by Italysearcher »

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... =855531-50

Above is the link for the microfilms of the civil records of the town. The records are not on line, you need to go to a history centre, order the films and search them for your family. Once you have birthdates for your Grandfather's siblings request the birth record from the town. This copy will tell you who they married and when. Then when you go there you will know who you are looking for. www.paginebianche.it will tell you if they have a land line phone number and give the address.
Have a great trip.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
nancyschmancy

Re: Tracing Votta and Lasco Families, Potenza, Basilicata

Post by nancyschmancy »

Thank you so much for this information.