Finding records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suziwag

Finding records

Post by suziwag »

I am trying to find the town of origin of my great grandfather. iThey came from Sardinia. Any advice would be appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Finding records

Post by adelfio »

What is his name and date of birth? Did he settle in the US?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suziwag

Post by suziwag »

My great great grandfather was Paulo Biggio. He came to America in 1858 with five sons. He landed in Mobile. I believe his wife had died and she was Angelina Repetti.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

suziwag wrote:My great great grandfather was Paulo Biggio. He came to America in 1858 with five sons. He landed in Mobile. I believe his wife had died and she was Angelina Repetti.
What records do you have?
Can you post the info you have

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suziwag

Post by suziwag »

Marty,
I have the ship passenger lists with the names of my great and great great grandfather as well as the other siblings. They landed in Mobile.
I have found them in the census in 1870 onward in New Orleans. I want to try to find the town where they came from in Sardinia.
Naturalizations before 1906 only yielded place of birth as Italy.
Marriages in NO did not help either, no town mentioned. Same with deaths, voter registrations, etc.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I don't think that your ancestor coming from Sardinia as birthregion; most probably he was born in Liguria region that was a part of Sardinia Kingdom until Italy union...
The Biggio surname is a surname of Liguria region as a well Repetti/Repetto surname... the surnames in the ship's manifest are of Liguria region .. especially... so my idea is that you can search in Genoa area.. maybe in Santo Stefano d'Aveto town... and surrounding area...
just a suggestion..
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Suanj wrote:The Biggio surname is a surname of Liguria region as a well Repetti/Repetto surname... the surnames in the ship's manifest are of Liguria region .. especially... so my idea is that you can search in Genoa area.. maybe in Santo Stefano d'Aveto town... and surrounding area...
just a suggestion..
regards,
suanj

I totally agree with Suanj. The Genoa area once was under the Sardinia Kingdom, this is the reason they stated Sardinia as place of birth.

Laura