Need help with some translation

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Need help with some translation

Postby Josie07M11 » 28 Mar 2013, 22:09

Hello,

I need some help translating a document that I found using microfiche from the familysearch library. The microfische viewer was not very good and it was extremely difficult to read. (No zoom, bad focus etc) I took a photo of the document using my iphone.

The first thing is this part on the side which is viewable but unfortunately my italian is not good enough:

http://tinypic.com/r/15849wk/6

The second is the actual document. All I really want to know from it is what the ages of Giovanni's parents were when they had him, and perhaps the grandfather's names. I can see that Luciano was 29 when Giovanni was born, and Giorgia's father's name was Vincenzo. It's extremely hard to read so I don't expect anyone to gather much more than I did from it but it's worth a try!

http://tinypic.com/r/sxztso/6

Thank you!
Josie07M11
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need help with some translation

Postby adelfio » 29 Mar 2013, 14:41

Can you post the whole record there is a house location but I cant read it. Side note says he married Concetta Metoldi?? on Feb 20 1895

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby Josie07M11 » 29 Mar 2013, 17:49

Josie07M11
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 30 Mar 2013, 17:55

Josie07M11 wrote:Hello,

I need some help translating a document that I found using microfiche from the familysearch library. The microfische viewer was not very good and it was extremely difficult to read. (No zoom, bad focus etc) I took a photo of the document using my iphone.

The first thing is this part on the side which is viewable but unfortunately my italian is not good enough:

http://tinypic.com/r/15849wk/6

The second is the actual document. All I really want to know from it is what the ages of Giovanni's parents were when they had him, and perhaps the grandfather's names. I can see that Luciano was 29 when Giovanni was born, and Giorgia's father's name was Vincenzo. It's extremely hard to read so I don't expect anyone to gather much more than I did from it but it's worth a try!

http://tinypic.com/r/sxztso/6

Thank you!

Josie,
Giovanni's father was already deceased when he was born. After Giorgia Lio's name, and where it says that she was the daughter of Vincenzo (Lio), it says that she was the vedova (widow) of Luciano. It was Giorgia who was age 29 and not her deceased husband. Giovanni was born this morning on the 28th of April, but I can't read the year.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Josie07M11 » 30 Mar 2013, 18:29

Thank you so much again Erudita! This'll be helpful information for my research :)
Josie07M11
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 30 Mar 2013, 18:31

Josie07M11 wrote:Thank you so much again Erudita! This'll be helpful information for my research :)

Josie
What town is this record from ? The side note has two marriages, and I am trying to decipher them. Is the town Chiaramonti? I think that's what the record says. The second marriage notation is for his marriage to Salvatrice Cutrano on Jan 15, 1922 in that town. She was the daughter of deceased (can't read her father's first name). The first marriage took place in a different town, but I haven't deciphered that town name yet.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Josie07M11 » 30 Mar 2013, 20:10

This record is from the town Chiaramonte Gulfi in Ragusa :) The second marriage is Salvatrice Cutraro who is actually the source of my ancestry with Giovanni Mangani. I believe Salvatrice's father's name is Mariano? Would that make sense?
Josie07M11
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 30 Mar 2013, 21:22

Josie07M11 wrote:This record is from the town Chiaramonte Gulfi in Ragusa :) The second marriage is Salvatrice Cutraro who is actually the source of my ancestry with Giovanni Mangani. I believe Salvatrice's father's name is Mariano? Would that make sense?

Josie
Yes I see now that the surname is Cutraro and not Cutrano. I am thinking that the town of the first marriage could be Comiso, which would be a neighboring town. I was going to suggest that Salvatrice's father was deceased Mariano, but the handwriting is so squished, that I wasn't 100% sure. I think it's a good guess, but you would have to locate records to confirm his first name.
BTW, in the future, when you post records for translation, it would be helpful if you could state what town the record is from. Knowing the town name helps a lot with deciphering surnames and street names. Thanks.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Josie07M11 » 30 Mar 2013, 23:07

Thanks! I will have to have a look around. It's really hard to get records from Chiaramonte Gulfi as they're still on microfilm and I can't afford to keep getting a new order from familysearch every time. Thanks so much for your help. I will definitely state the town next time I need another thing translated :)
Josie07M11
Rookie
Rookie

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy