Looking for Alessio.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Looking for Alessio.

Postby gram242 » 17 Feb 2005, 18:38

I am new at this and hoping to find some relevant info. My great grandparents and my grandfather came to the US from Italy in 1882. It appears they came through the port of New Orleans. My great grandfather's name was Alfred M. Alessio and my grandfather's name was Alfred F Alessi (don't know where name change came in). Does anyone know what town in which I should begin my search?
gram242

Re: Looking for Alessio.

Postby suanj » 17 Feb 2005, 19:14

gram242 wrote:I am new at this and hoping to find some relevant info. My great grandparents and my grandfather came to the US from Italy in 1882. It appears they came through the port of New Orleans. My great grandfather's name was Alfred M. Alessio and my grandfather's name was Alfred F Alessi (don't know where name change came in). Does anyone know what town in which I should begin my search?

In Italy are not record about Alfredo M. Alessio and son, but is normal why in Italy are on line only record in ellis port from 1880 to 1891..are some other Alessio people but nobody Alfredo....
Normally many people emigrated in Louisiana was from Sicily.. if you have some other info please let me know...
regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 17 Feb 2005, 20:24

gram242 wrote:I am new at this and hoping to find some relevant info. My great grandparents and my grandfather came to the US from Italy in 1882. It appears they came through the port of New Orleans. My great grandfather's name was Alfred M. Alessio and my grandfather's name was Alfred F Alessi (don't know where name change came in). Does anyone know what town in which I should begin my search?

Hi There,

The link below is general information on how to find passenger records for New Orleans.
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/neworleans.html

The link below is microfilm numbers by year. There are two for the year 1882.
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/nolists1820.html

Did you try to send away for the naturalization records of Alfred Alessio, Sr.?

According to the 1900 Federal Census, they were Mobile, Alabama. Alfred Sr. is still an Alien.

Alfred Sr., born abt. Nov. 1871, Italy
Sallie, born abt. June 1874, North Carolina
Alfred Jr., born abt. Sept. 1898

Alfred Sr. and Sallie were married for about 4 years. Did you get a copy of their Marriage Application? There is a chance the town of Italy is mentioned on the papers.

Do you have Alfred Sr. death certificate? It too might have his town of origin.

Also, did Sallie died between 1900-1910 and Alfred Jr was left with a family named McDonald?

Did Aflred Sr. remarry a woman by the name of Sophie? If he did, he was then living back in Louisiana, and finally Petioned for Naturalization by 1916.

Hope this all helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby gram242 » 17 Feb 2005, 21:31

Thank you so much for your replies, Trish and suanj. I have requested both marriage and death records but have not received either yet. I will definitely use the info you have provided me with to see if I can learn anything further from them. Again, thanks!!
gram242

Postby mfjp » 18 Feb 2005, 14:33

Do you know your Great grandmother's surname?? What are the middle initials of your G grandparents?
mfjp
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy