Looking for San Basile Cosenza Family Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
eadler

Looking for San Basile Cosenza Family Information

Post by eadler »

My grandfather was known as Rudolph Costello. Based on his ship arrival records, naturalization papers, and WWI draft card it appears he was born Guiseppe Rudolpho Quatarolo in San Basile Cosenza on Nov. 15, 1895. He arrived in NY on June 1913 (record says Quartarola). He died in NY in 1954. Rudy's parents were named Nicola and Caterina, and he definitely had an older brother Frank (Francesco). It's quite possible he had at least one other brother Michael (Micheangelo?) I am hoping to find his birth record, or Nicola and Caterina's marriage records, or records of their deaths. Also, my grandfather spoke several languages. The family story was that he learned them as a young boy he assisted his uncle who used a wheelchair and was some kind of professor at a university, perhaps in Naples. Any help with the birth, marriage and death records or any thoughts about the family story would be most helpful as I am a newbie researcher. Thank you!
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Looking for San Basile Cosenza Family Information

Post by pink67 »

Hi eadler :D

civil registrations of San Basile town are online on the site Familysearch.org, this is your grandfather's birth act image:

Birth Act number 57 - Year 1895

Quartarolo Giuseppe was born in San Basile on the day 15 october 1895, his father Nicola declared his birth to the town hall officer, Nicola was 54 years old, farmer. Giuseppe's mother's maiden name was Caterina Belluscio, housekeeper. Their address was "Sopra la Chiesa" street, number 31.

image here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1926509008

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You can also search through this this site, you need to register but it's free:

http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/a ... on&lang=en

Giuseppe Quartarolo's siblings:

military conscription records:

Codice SIAS IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1882.Registro numero 189,
atto numero 107 di pagina 36 sezione b
Michelangelo Quartarolo, iscritto il 27/06/1902
nato il 07/04/1882 a SAN BASILE
da Nicola Quartarolo e da Caterina Belluscio

Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1879.Registro numero 165,
atto numero 181 di pagina 221 sezione a
Giovanni Quartarolo, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 16/09/1879 a SAN BASILE

Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1873.Registro numero 118,
atto numero 126 di pagina 173 sezione c
Martino Quartarolo, contadino iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 27/10/1873 a SAN BASILE

Laura
eadler

Post by eadler »

Laura, thank you so much! Could you help me find Nicola and Caterina's marriage records? I am assuming those would show their parents names and perhaps help me go back another level. Also, from my US census research and from researching Michelangelo's WW I and WW II records, it appears there was a brother named Frank, as I was told . (I have also seen a photo identified as "Uncle Frank". I see from Guiseppe's other brothers birthdates that there is quite a gap from them to him. Any chance there is a record of birth for Frank in that timeline.? Thank you again.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great finds Laura!!!
Heres the marriage record of Nicola Quartarolo e da Caterina Belluscio
INDEX#3
1873 Feb 1st in the town of San Basile marriage of Nicola Quartarolo age 32 farmer son of Martino Quartarolo and Caterina Ferraro married to Caterina Belluscio age 24 daughter of Vincenzo Belluscio and Maddalena Tamburi

PAGE LINK

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
eadler

Post by eadler »

Marty, thank you so much for the new information about my great grandparents! This site is really a great resource. If anyone has any thoughts about the missing brother Frank, the mystery uncle language professor, or would mind helping me get from these new great grandparents' names to finding their marriage records, I would really appreciate the help.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Don't know if these records could be of any help:

Nicola's siblings so "Rudolph Costello"'s uncles:

Francesco Saverio Quartarolo, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 23/04/1857
da Martino Quartarolo e da Caterina Ferraro
Note generali: nato a San Basile
(listed as Farmer)

Antonio Quartarolo, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 06/04/1855
da Martino Quartarolo e da Caterina Ferraro
Note generali: nato a San Basile

Laura
eadler

Post by eadler »

Hello, thanks so much to everyone who helped me a few months ago. I have since found another of my grandfather's brothers, Vincenzo, and a handful of cousins. Now I am looking to find: (1) the marriage records of my gg grandparents Martino Quartarolo and Caterina Ferraro around or before 1840. (My ggfather Nicola was born in 1841); and (2) the birth record or military conscription record for my grandfather's recently discovered brother Vincenzo Quartarolo born I believe 3/13/1887.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

INDEX#24
Vincenzo Quartarolo was born in San Basile in a house on via Sopra la Chiesa on the day 13 March 1887, the father Nicola Quartarolo age 46 farmer declared his birth with his wife Caterina Belluscio,housekeeper.

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD

You might have to go to a Family History Library they have Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths, supplemental records of Registri dello stato civile di San Basile (Cosenza), 1809-1910 to get those other records

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
eadler

Post by eadler »

Hi Marty, thank you for the birth record for Vincenzo. That was a missing piece.

Apologizing in advance, I have two newbie questions for you : (1) I'm confused why it was possible to find the 1873 marriage record for Nicola and Caterina, but not the marriage record (around or before 1840) for his parents Martino Quartarolo and Caterina Ferraro on line? and (2) I'd be interested in researching any surviving descendants of my grandfather's two other brothers that Laura identified above, Martino and Giovanni Quartarolo born in the 1870's. The only fact I have is that in 1954 there was a man named Giovanni Quartarolo who was identified on a death certificate of one of the other brothers who died while visiting Italy as a nephew, so presumably he was the son of the elder Giovanni. In terms of where to begin, do you think it makes more sense to try to trace the 1954 Giovanni to see if he had children or is the better way to approach this next line of inquiry to try to find birth records to identify the 1870's Giovanni and Martino 's children. It's hard to now the better strategy as a new researcher. Thank you and everyone else again for this great resource. Ellen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The ufficio di stato civile registry are usually town civil records from 1865-1910
The archivio di stato records(RECORDS OF TOWNS IN THE PROVINCE) are usually found in the major city of each province and those are usually Napoleonic records 1809-1865 plus military service records.You can send for those records(YOU NEED DATES AND NAMES) but they charge a fee. Familysearch has made agreements with Italy for copying records some are online some are some are not but some earlier records are still on their films that are for rent and for viewing at a family history library. Also they are always adding towns online so you have to keep checking
I would check for Martino Quartarolo and Caterina Ferraro death records
online they were both alive in 1873 at the marriage so you can start there it will give you the parents names and the age at the deaths

Marty

Marty
eadler

Post by eadler »

I'm afraid I haven't had much luck in finding death records for any of my great grandparents. Thanks in advance for any help. Martino Quartarolo and Caterina Ferraro on one side and Vincenzo Belluscio and Maddelena Tamburi on the other. All were apparently alive in 1873 at the marriage of my grandparents.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Death record of Martino Quartarolo
INDEX#32
1886 Aug 18th in the town of San Basile death of Martino Quartarolo age 76 (1810) farmer born in San Basile son of deceased Giuseppe Quartarolo and deceased Caterina Ferraro husband of the living Caterina Ferraro

PG LINK TO DEATH RECORD

Marty

Marty
eadler

Post by eadler »

Thank you Marty for finding Martino's death record; I'll keep looking for the other three . Thanks in advance to anyone else who can help.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Death record of Caterina Ferraro
INDEX#39
1902 July 3rd in the town of San Basile death of Caterina Ferraro age 84(1818)born in San Basile daughter of deceased Domenico Ferraro and deceased Maria Bellizzi and wife of deceased Martino Quartarolo

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n135133222

Marty

Marty