Vincenzo Vecchio - Brother of Giuseppe Vecchio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Vincenzo Vecchio - Brother of Giuseppe Vecchio

Postby djvecchio » 30 Apr 2013, 01:03

I've hit a brick wall regarding one Vincenzo Vecchio. He is the brother of Guiseppe Vecchio who was my grandfather. My grandfather was from Postiglione, Salerno, Italy, so I presume Vincenzo was also. As I understand it, he came over to the US in the early 1900s, went back to Italy and then returned, I believe with his wife. If the records for Postiglione were on the FamilySearch site I could probably try and find him there, but alas they are not. To complicate matter, not only did my father have a SON he named Vincent, but there are also a number of Vincenzo Vecchios from Postiglione that came to the US. I've found ones in NY City and also in Mass. The one I'm looking for lived in Fredonia, or Arkwright while in NY. I can't even find an obituary in the old NY newspapers (www.newspaperarchives.com & www.fultonhistory.com) that have plenty of obituaries for the rest of my relatives that lived in this area. I believe this Vincenzo Vecchio had two children -- Rose and Constantino. I have found several Vincenzo Vecchio's coming thru Ellis Island. I'm blind regarding any info from Postiglione, and the lack of anything about him in area newspapers has be befuddled. I've found PLENTY of info in these papers about other relatives. So now I'm wondering if I've been looking under the wrong name! He may have come in as Vincenzo, but any newspaper articles would have a different name. I'm told he was called Uncle Jim (don't ask me why)! I've searched for James Vecchio, but there IS a James Vecchio that was the son of ANOTHER Vinccent Vecchio who was my father's son!! And I HAVE found info regarding this person. Hopefully someone can help!
djvecchio

Re: Vincenzo Vecchio - Brother of Giuseppe Vecchio

Postby erudita74 » 30 Apr 2013, 20:04

djvecchio wrote:I've hit a brick wall regarding one Vincenzo Vecchio. He is the brother of Guiseppe Vecchio who was my grandfather. My grandfather was from Postiglione, Salerno, Italy, so I presume Vincenzo was also. As I understand it, he came over to the US in the early 1900s, went back to Italy and then returned, I believe with his wife. If the records for Postiglione were on the FamilySearch site I could probably try and find him there, but alas they are not. To complicate matter, not only did my father have a SON he named Vincent, but there are also a number of Vincenzo Vecchios from Postiglione that came to the US. I've found ones in NY City and also in Mass. The one I'm looking for lived in Fredonia, or Arkwright while in NY. I can't even find an obituary in the old NY newspapers (http://www.newspaperarchives.com & http://www.fultonhistory.com) that have plenty of obituaries for the rest of my relatives that lived in this area. I believe this Vincenzo Vecchio had two children -- Rose and Constantino. I have found several Vincenzo Vecchio's coming thru Ellis Island. I'm blind regarding any info from Postiglione, and the lack of anything about him in area newspapers has be befuddled. I've found PLENTY of info in these papers about other relatives. So now I'm wondering if I've been looking under the wrong name! He may have come in as Vincenzo, but any newspaper articles would have a different name. I'm told he was called Uncle Jim (don't ask me why)! I've searched for James Vecchio, but there IS a James Vecchio that was the son of ANOTHER Vinccent Vecchio who was my father's son!! And I HAVE found info regarding this person. Hopefully someone can help!

Do you by any chance have the names of your grandfather's parents?
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Vincenzo Vecchio - Brother of Giuseppe Vecchio

Postby djvecchio » 01 Jun 2013, 20:05

I believe my grandfather's parents were Giovanni and Maria Vecchio.
djvecchio

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy