Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 05:22

I am looking for the sister of my great-great grandmother. She was born in Valle di Maddaloni in 1895. She immigrated in 1914. Her passenger record says she is going to her sister, my great-great grandmother. She was single at the time. By the time the 1920 census came around, I am assuming she was married. I did a search on Family Search for an Annunziata born that year and saw a possible match in Berks County, Pa. That is only a few miles from where my great-great grandmother was living. So based on the birth year, immigration year, and the fact that she was living so close to where my family was living at the time, I am going to assume that it was her until I can be proven otherwise.

The man's name is listed as Camillo Canto. Upon further investigation, it appears he is from Cepagatti. However, she could have gone back to Italy and stayed there for all I know. Does anyone have any idea how I can find out if this Annunziata is mine? It's very hard to search without a last name, and I know she could have shortened her name, but I just find it too coincidental that this woman in this census record was a perfect match.

Berks County does have a search feature on their register of wills website, so I was able to search Camillo Canto. There IS a record for him, dated 3-4 weeks after Annunziata's immigration date. However, when I put in the volume and page number, the name Cuarlatta, Norvzrata comes up with his. If you want to go to the website and see what I mean, the link is here- http://rwills.co.berks.pa.us/geneology/Marriages.aspx

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thank you!
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 05:43

Oh I think I may have just answered my own question. I found a marriage record for one of their children and the mother is listed as Annunziata Suarlotta. I can't even find anything on that last name at all.
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby Tessa78 » 11 May 2013, 17:29

LaurenSherry wrote:Oh I think I may have just answered my own question. I found a marriage record for one of their children and the mother is listed as Annunziata Suarlotta. I can't even find anything on that last name at all.


Hello LaurenSherry :-)

It is likely that this is a gross misspelling of Annunziata's surname.

Do you have this birth record from Valle di Maddaloni?
Father is Vincenzo, which agrees with the ship manifest you referenced...

Record #29
Dated 27 March 1895 in Valle di Maddaloni, Caserta
Appearing before the official was Vincenzo Santacroce, son of deceased Pasquale, age 44, peasant farmer, to declare that at 9 AM on the 26th of the above-stated month, at the place as Vico Storto(?) #6, to Maria Giovanna Ricco, daughter of deceased Luca, age 34, peasant farmer, his wife living with him, was born a female child, whom he presented to the official and to whom was given the name ANNUNZIATA...

Bottom right side of image
Image

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9208
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby erudita74 » 11 May 2013, 18:26

I had seen the birth record earlier, which T was nice enough to upload to the forum. I was hoping there would be a marriage notation for Annunziata in the margin, even though the marriage took place in the U.S. Sometimes that info is communicated back to the original town and added in the margin of the individual's Italian birth record. I also found the following, which you may have seen for the son, Joseph:

Canto , Joseph 2/1/1920 7/25/2004 Quarlotto 7/27/2004

http://www.genealogytrails.com/penn/ber ... x2004.html

In this index, you have the mother's maiden name spelled as Quarlotto.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 18:31

Tessa78 wrote:
LaurenSherry wrote:Oh I think I may have just answered my own question. I found a marriage record for one of their children and the mother is listed as Annunziata Suarlotta. I can't even find anything on that last name at all.


Hello LaurenSherry :-)

It is likely that this is a gross misspelling of Annunziata's surname.

Do you have this birth record from Valle di Maddaloni?
Father is Vincenzo, which agrees with the ship manifest you referenced...

Record #29
Dated 27 March 1895 in Valle di Maddaloni, Caserta
Appearing before the official was Vincenzo Santacroce, son of deceased Pasquale, age 44, peasant farmer, to declare that at 9 AM on the 26th of the above-stated month, at the place as Vico Storto(?) #6, to Maria Giovanna Ricco, daughter of deceased Luca, age 34, peasant farmer, his wife living with him, was born a female child, whom he presented to the official and to whom was given the name ANNUNZIATA...

Bottom right side of image
Image

T.


Thank you! Yes, I do have this and was wondering if you think the mother's name could possibly be Grieco or Greco from this. This particular birth record, it DOES look like Ricco to me, but we have Greco/Grieco for the rest of the older family members and that could mess things up a bit for me, haha. So, you think it's still possible for this to be my girl, even though the spelling is way off?
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 18:34

erudita74 wrote:I had seen the birth record earlier, which T was nice enough to upload to the forum. I was hoping there would be a marriage notation for Annunziata in the margin, even though the marriage took place in the U.S. Sometimes that info is communicated back to the original town and added in the margin of the individual's Italian birth record. I also found the following, which you may have seen for the son, Joseph:

Canto , Joseph 2/1/1920 7/25/2004 Quarlotto 7/27/2004

http://www.genealogytrails.com/penn/ber ... x2004.html

In this index, you have the mother's maiden name spelled as Quarlotto.

Erudita


Thank you, I did not see this yet. So that's the third possible spelling of the name, but I wonder if it's really possible it could still be her? Or if it's just too far off?
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby Tessa78 » 11 May 2013, 19:30

LaurenSherry wrote:
Thank you! Yes, I do have this and was wondering if you think the mother's name could possibly be Grieco or Greco from this. This particular birth record, it DOES look like Ricco to me, but we have Greco/Grieco for the rest of the older family members and that could mess things up a bit for me, haha. So, you think it's still possible for this to be my girl, even though the spelling is way off?


Yes, Lauren, I guess there is a possibility it could be Grieco... :-)

Do you have the marriage record for this couple?

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9208
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 20:08

Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby Tessa78 » 11 May 2013, 20:27

LaurenSherry wrote:Yes I do, it is here- http://postimg.org/image/6jl3gvn2p/


Definitely GRECO on this record :-D

Have you tried to request her birth record from Pozzovetere?

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9208
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 20:50

No, I haven't done any of that yet. I don't even know how to go about that, but would that tell me more than what I already have on her? I am fairly new to this, have only been searching for about a month, so I only have what I've been able to find on Family Search and what a friend has been able to find on Ancestry, which is a lot of names, birth years, and the birth/death/marriage records of most of the people whose names I have so far.
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby Tessa78 » 11 May 2013, 21:41

LaurenSherry wrote:No, I haven't done any of that yet. I don't even know how to go about that, but would that tell me more than what I already have on her? I am fairly new to this, have only been searching for about a month, so I only have what I've been able to find on Family Search and what a friend has been able to find on Ancestry, which is a lot of names, birth years, and the birth/death/marriage records of most of the people whose names I have so far.


Better to work on getting the information you have already organized. :-)

What her birth record COULD do is validate the information you already have...

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9208
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 11 May 2013, 22:55

Someone in another forum said that she had seen Camillo Canto's grave site, so I am hoping she will reply to my message and let me know where that was. Then I can go there to check things out for myself.
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 03 Jun 2013, 18:10

Does anyone else have any other ideas on how I could possibly try to find anything on her? I don't want to give up! I did not hear back from the person that mentioned she saw Camillo Canto's gravesite, I was hoping I'd hear back so I could go there and see what info I could get from there.

I've asked my grandmother if she knew anything about her and she doesn't think she does. I would have liked to assume the family I found in the censuses were mine, but if my grandmother managed to keep in contact with her Italian relatives that lived 6 hours away, I'd like to believe that she would have known about her mother's aunt that was living in the next town. There were no matches on ancestry.com in any family trees, except for the other family that I mentioned, but it appears it was only a potential match because of the first name and dates matching.
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby suanj » 03 Jun 2013, 21:57

Hi, I found a Nunzia( diminutive of Annunziata first name; matching birth year and arrival:
1920 United States Federal Census about Nunzia Sdas
Name: Nunzia Sdas
[Nunzia Sdao]
[Margia Sdao]
Age: 25
Birth Year: abt 1895
Birthplace: Italy

Home in 1920: Canoe, Indiana, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Gender: Female
Immigration Year: 1914
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
[Widow]
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Home Owned: Rent
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Nunzia Sdas 25
Giovanni Sdas 0
[10/12]
Angela Sdas 4
[4 11/12]
Guiseppina Sdas 3
[3 9/12]

Carlo Medaglia 27

the children was born in PA..
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11263
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Annunziata Santacroce (Possibly Canto!?)

Postby LaurenSherry » 03 Jun 2013, 22:09

Hi, thanks, that's just the problem, there are quite a few that match in PA as far as the birth year/immigration year/first name goes, but I really don't know if she stayed in PA, or never made it here for some reason.. maybe she met someone between NY and PA and never actually made it.. or went back to Italy.. there's just no way to know! I guess I'd have to do investigating on each match from the census records..
Looking for- Bove, Santacroce, Vigliotti, Greco, Pascarella, Suppa, Carfora from Cervino, Caserta and surrounding area.
LaurenSherry
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:37

Next

17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cheemsson1 and 13 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.